1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed the placement as I was offered loads of support and given a large amount of responsibility
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues saw me as a valuable member of the team. I was given lots of responsibility and relied upon in time pressured situations
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I always had support from management and supervisors and was even relied upon by principal engineers in doing work with a sub contractor
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It's long busy days but everyday I felt like my skills and confidence grew and developed
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was concerned about not being valued but instead felt at times I was being pushed to the max in responsibility. I thrive on pressure so this suited me perfectly
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Working on site showed me how to apply many things in my degree but I also developed skills for the future that I wouldn't manage to learn in my degree making me a more valuable candidate in the future
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was great, the support between the placement students was great and I've stayed in touch since the summer. They're was regular social events and even a weekly football kick about involving several teams.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I had regular communication leading up to the placement and due to the security clearances and CSCS test I had plenty of support with preparing. On arrival I had almost a week given over to inductions and then shadowing others and learning my role. My only fustration was how late my interview was being after summer exams but in some ways it was even more exciting to be excepted
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was given central training sessions via video sessions every week as well as site specific training weekly. Along with these sessions I attended several CPD sessions focused on my teams such as a talk by a Hitli representative. being at Hinkley they're was also training given on using new technology in construction and about nuclear safety culture
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The progression pathways in the company are clearly set out and offer brilliant opportunities. They offer a good amount of flexibility about future placements and jobs across the country. There are plenty of perks to the grad programme and speaking to grads they really enjoying their time
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Prior to starting my placement I was put in contact with other summer placement students so was able to discuss plans for accommodation and other pre arrival requirements. While on placement I stayed at the same accommodation and therefore spent almost every evening socialising with them be it playing football or going to the campus bar for a drink
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Working at Hinkley point for a short period I made use of the campus accommodation. By travelling home at weekends the living allowance covered my accommodation and included breakfast and dinner. the bar at the campus was reasonably priced but sociallising outside of the campus was difficult due to the remoteness of the site.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Bridgewater is not the best town for night life but I did have a couple of nice meals and social events including go karting and curry nights. Staying at the Hinkley campus accommodation did mean getting to social events could be a challenge and if I was on a longer placement I would have looked at staying in Taunton in shared accommodation
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Due to the length of the placement I didn't have a lot of time to get involved with extra activities but there were many events put on by the Hinkley site and Laing O'Rourke that I could have got involved in had I been there longer