Student engineer maninly performing the role of a setting out engineer by the end of the placement.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Had amazing opertunity of being on a job that allowed me to be involved in loss of different aspects of civil engineering, from pipelaying to concrete wall pours to ducting. I was involved in the vast majority of setting out as well as all the QA surrounding concrete and pipework.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Colleagues were very welcoming and I felt at home. My boss really looked after me early in the placement to make sure I was off to a great start!
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
If I ever needed help they could assist me. This includes other engineers and supervisors
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Always had plenty of work to do! I was never left with nothing to do!
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was responsible for all setting out on the job especially in the later stages when I was the only site engineer for the final 2 months. This gave me a lot more responsibility and really improved my ability as a site engineer! It was ideal in allowing me to improve my confidence greatly
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
In terms of moving on into industry after graduation it was perfect. I was basically performing the role of a site engineer. I feel that I am completely competent in performing the role of a graduate site engineer now because of this placement. It can also help a bit with uni in terms of how I cope with work load.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was great! Everyone worked very hard but at the same time could have a laugh! I never felt stressed or uneasy in the office.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
My boss always ensured I was fully trained in as much as possible to enable me to become a more compitent engineer.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
this Placement Year
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The company is massive and there is loads of different things I can go into! This allows me to really focus on what I enjoy the most. I cannot wait to see what the future hold with this company, especially with the upcoming projects like HS2. I can’t wait to see how far I can progress into the company.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Kendal had a few good pubs and we often went out to watch football!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?