Student Engineer at Laing O'Rourke

Kendal North West
Civil Engineering

Laing O'Rourke is a Top Employer

8.2/10

Student engineer maninly performing the role of a setting out engineer by the end of the placement.

Had amazing opertunity of being on a job that allowed me to be involved in loss of different aspects of civil engineering, from pipelaying to concrete wall pours to ducting. I was involved in the vast majority of setting out as well as all the QA surrounding concrete and pipework.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at Laing O'Rourke

Colleagues were very welcoming and I felt at home. My boss really looked after me early in the placement to make sure I was off to a great start!

If I ever needed help they could assist me. This includes other engineers and supervisors

Always had plenty of work to do! I was never left with nothing to do!

I was responsible for all setting out on the job especially in the later stages when I was the only site engineer for the final 2 months. This gave me a lot more responsibility and really improved my ability as a site engineer! It was ideal in allowing me to improve my confidence greatly

In terms of moving on into industry after graduation it was perfect. I was basically performing the role of a site engineer. I feel that I am completely competent in performing the role of a graduate site engineer now because of this placement. It can also help a bit with uni in terms of how I cope with work load.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at Laing O'Rourke

The atmosphere was great! Everyone worked very hard but at the same time could have a laugh! I never felt stressed or uneasy in the office.

My boss always ensured I was fully trained in as much as possible to enable me to become a more compitent engineer.

• There were no perks with this Placement Year

The company is massive and there is loads of different things I can go into! This allows me to really focus on what I enjoy the most. I cannot wait to see what the future hold with this company, especially with the upcoming projects like HS2. I can’t wait to see how far I can progress into the company.

Kendal had a few good pubs and we often went out to watch football!