1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I was made to feel very welcome as part of the team and well supported in my tasks.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I had a lot of oversight and constant encouragement and engagement with my team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I worked independently but there was always someone near at hand if I needed to ask for extra help or to have a task explained to me.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Compared with other students in a similar role I seemed to a consistent workload. This was a very positive feeling as I would not have liked to work in an environment where I did not feel like I was making a fair contribution.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was able to co-ordinate design across several teams. At times I felt out of my depth but there was support and advice available. This helped me tackle my tasks with confidence.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I was given a through introduction to a workplace part way between consultation and contracting. This will stand me in very good stead when aplying for future placements and had already been a great boon in my studies.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office had a very relaxed atmosphere within the bounds of a reasonable uniform and code of conduct. We also had a casual friday tradition and the option to finish early, this facilitated team building trips to excellent fringe shows and helped create a tight-knit team.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
There were many different teams sharing the same workplace. As I was hotdesking during my placement I was exposed to the work environment of most of these teams but there could have been more communication between departments.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I arrived with most of the skills I needed to complete the tasks I was set, but LOR was very quick to arrange training for me in processes I was unfamiliar with.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I thorougly enjoyed my placement and would like to further develop my skills, it was a great place to work!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was a good diversity of ages and backgrounds which made for a unique social scene. LOR's supplemental SIP programme also allowed us to meet with and develop links with students from across the country.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I was able to commute to site from home so my living costs were very low.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The site was very central and my placement coincided with the edinburgh film festival and edinburgh fringe so there was plenty of opportunity for unique nights out.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
LOR put a lot of effort into building links with the local community and made these opportunities accessible to staff.