Digital Engineer at Laing O'Rourke

8.9/10

9.7
7.6

Student Summer Placement

I was made to feel very welcome as part of the team and well supported in my tasks.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at Laing O'Rourke

I had a lot of oversight and constant encouragement and engagement with my team.

I worked independently but there was always someone near at hand if I needed to ask for extra help or to have a task explained to me.

Compared with other students in a similar role I seemed to a consistent workload. This was a very positive feeling as I would not have liked to work in an environment where I did not feel like I was making a fair contribution.

I was able to co-ordinate design across several teams. At times I felt out of my depth but there was support and advice available. This helped me tackle my tasks with confidence.

I was given a through introduction to a workplace part way between consultation and contracting. This will stand me in very good stead when aplying for future placements and had already been a great boon in my studies.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at Laing O'Rourke

The office had a very relaxed atmosphere within the bounds of a reasonable uniform and code of conduct. We also had a casual friday tradition and the option to finish early, this facilitated team building trips to excellent fringe shows and helped create a tight-knit team.

There were many different teams sharing the same workplace. As I was hotdesking during my placement I was exposed to the work environment of most of these teams but there could have been more communication between departments.

I arrived with most of the skills I needed to complete the tasks I was set, but LOR was very quick to arrange training for me in processes I was unfamiliar with.

• There were no perks with this Internship

I thorougly enjoyed my placement and would like to further develop my skills, it was a great place to work!

There was a good diversity of ages and backgrounds which made for a unique social scene. LOR's supplemental SIP programme also allowed us to meet with and develop links with students from across the country.

I was able to commute to site from home so my living costs were very low.

The site was very central and my placement coincided with the edinburgh film festival and edinburgh fringe so there was plenty of opportunity for unique nights out.

LOR put a lot of effort into building links with the local community and made these opportunities accessible to staff.