I was responsible for reducing the number of workstations with vulnerabilities
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at ASI. Each week had a different challenge and I always felt like I learning something new. I will come out of this internship a far more skilled individual than what I was previously and I've made plenty new friends during the last 10 weeks
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt very valued by my colleagues. From the moment I joined I was made to feel welcome and part of the team by all my colleagues. No question was ever too small and I was always given help whenever I needed it. My colleagues made my time at ASI a very good experience.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given constant guidance from my manager and she was extremely helpful. I was lucky to sit next to my manager throughout the duration of my time here so I was always able to ask for help and be given new tasks to keep me busy. My manager was
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was relatively busy throughout the course of the last 10 weeks. The majority of the time i had an adequate workload and was usually able to keep myself busy. There were a few occasions when i didn't have a lot to do but this was often due to other members of my team being on holiday and therefore unable to give me new tasks.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a good amount of responsibility during the placement. My role required me to have administrator access and I had a large project to work on. I felt like what I was doing had a valuable purpose and that i was helping to relieve the workload from my team.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
As this internship has very little to do with my degree, i felt i learned a variety of skills that i wouldn't have gotten had i taken an internship in a field related to my degree. I feel i am a more well rounded person because of the skills and training I've gained
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office had a welcoming atmosphere which was quiet enough to ensure everyone can get there work done but also involved plenty of conversation between team members. This led to a good vibe in the office which made it a lot less intimidating at the beginning of my time here.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
My internship was relatively well organised. The workshops were always well organised and you were given plenty information so you knew what to expect. My travel to these workshops from Aberdeen was also well organised with HR always being quick to respond to all my questions. My internship presentation was slightly less organised due to a change in who was looking after the interns in my department. This led information on the presentation being fairly last minute and there was some miscommunication on a few details.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The firm invested heavily in me. I was provided multiple trips to Edinburgh to attend internship events and a town hall. I was also provided with advanced excel training and insights discovery to further develop my skills in the workplace. On top of this i was given plenty opportunity to develop within my team
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There are good prospects to join the the organisation after the internship. I have applied for a place on the graduate scheme which is only open to those who have completed the internship. My success in getting a job within the company was based on how i performed within the internship so hopefully I've done enough to be offered a place.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
As i was the only intern based in Aberdeen i didn't get to experience a lot of the social scene amongst the other interns. Whenever i was in Edinburgh however i noticed there was a good atmosphere between interns and i always felt welcome to join in on social events.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
As I didn't have to relocate for the internship the cost of living was very cheap. I saved a lot of money due to my choice to stay in Aberdeen instead of relocating to Edinburgh. I also had a very good social life due to the fact i was staying with all my friends.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife was good and as i never had a to relocate i was well aware of where to go and when. There was plenty going on in Aberdeen over the summer so i was never bored and had plenty opportunity to enjoy myself at the weekend when i wasn't working
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes there was opportunities however being based in Aberdeen i was unable to take full advantage of these opportunities. The interns in Edinburgh were always out together and there were a few socials outside of work that i could have attended if i had chosen to be based outwith Aberdeen