Placement student being trained as a Facility Engineer. Supporting other Engineers in their work and being involved with various facility install projects. Eventually having personal projects and jobs to manage and oversee.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Right from the start I knew the placement was going to be hard work. But from this the amount of skills and knowledge I have learned from the people around me I have worked with will significantly help my career in the future.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone is extremely busy on their own works as part of our project therefore it is hard to be recognized as valued as everyone has their important roles to play. However volunteering to take small work loads off of others certainly helps them which in turn offers them to help you.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
After a couple months from start of my placement unfortunately my mentor left the company and I was kind of stuck in limbo for approx. a month with not much supervision. However after highlighting this to my manager it was soon fixed and I was then mentored by both my manager and a new mentor which helped me progress with existing works I had and gave me new challenges and problems to fix.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Near the beginning of placement I thought I was very busy. However as I progressed through my placement realized this was not busy as more recently I am extremely busy compared to then. I put this down to this placement being my first full time job in a real working environment. So the start of the placement was fresh and as I have progressed and adapted to working life I have managed my workloads much better.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Responsibility ramped up as my placement progressed up to now overseeing and running multiple jobs and projects. I feel this was handled vey well as I am not given work if viewed that I cannot handle it.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Unfortunately this does not really apply to me academically wise but from a future career stand point this placement has helped me tremendously. The skills knowledge and experience gained from my short time here will stay with me and help me very much in the future
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
As everyone is extremely busy with the project the atmosphere can be dull and slightly gloomy from time to time but due to the mix of personalities in the office there's always times people can lighten the mood.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement itself was quite well organized I receive updates when necessary and the placement/graduate team have been extremely helpful whenever I have needed to see them for anything.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I have had access to numerous training workshops and lessons which have benefitted both me and my employer. Because of this I feel having access to these types of training means the company have invested in me a acceptable amount.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
As I have already been accepted onto the grad scheme here I would say the future employment prospects are very appealing. Continuing my job I am doing now but with more responsibility and better pay is something I am very much looking forward to.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I can say that there was plenty of opportunities outside of work to get involved with fellow placement student activities. Every one I met was friendly and easy to get on with.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I live only 15 minutes away from where I work and cost of socializing here is fairly cheap and I still live at home so I cannot comment on cost of living
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Work area nightlife is ok however me personally prefer other areas.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I have been involved in various activities with the people in my office outside of work and I am aware of many more activities around the company.