1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
My time at Nissan was quite enjoyable - I got a lot of experience with new technologies and learning foundations under my belt.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt quite valued by my team most of the time
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My mentor was amazing and gave me lots of support throughout the year. Everyone in my team was happy to help me when I needed question answering or some help.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
One of the negatives of the placement for me was that I wasn’t busy most of the time. I believe this to be down to massive budget cuts currently taking place in NMUK.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given quite a lot of responsibility after the first few months, and was able to get on with work, as well as being trusted with production systems.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I believe the skills I have learned to be used widely acceoss the industry, I learned so much over the year and hope to apply it when in a grad job.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
At the start of the placement the morale was great amongst my team and in my office - however this changed and towards the end of my placement I saw and noticed that a lot of people weren’t happy, and a lot of contractors were cut.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I think the placement was quite well set up, I believe it could have been improved by having a 6-month rotation into another team.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was continuously promised external training, only to be let down when budgets were cut. On the other hand, internal training was quite good.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Although I enjoyed the placement year, and am glad for the experience I got, as an IT professional I believe I would have better prospects working at an IT service provider rather than IT to support the business.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Very cheap area but also I live at home
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?