1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
A reasonable amount of work was available for me to do
Meeting lots of people
A sense that I could have a real impact on our company's performance
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Didn't really feel valued for my competencies and what I have learnt in University by some colleagues. Often been given very basic tasks, made sound interesting, even towards the end of my internship.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Reasonable support through the beginning of the internship, increased after a few months with the setting of goals and monthly meetings to review those goals. After team restructure half way through the year however, personal development meetings stopped due to the very high workload and low manpower in the office.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Regular metrics, pitches and meetings to be prepared each week. Some space for proactive work, however this declined as the year went by and towards the end of the year became too involved in some processes which made it harder to keep learning through projects etc..
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Given the responsibility of preparing data, leading some meetings with mid level leadership, managing databases.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
My time management has improved by working from 7am till 3pm everyday, having to organize my workload to fit exactly in that time frame. Using free time in the day to be proactive and avoid finding myself with stressful days and very quiet days.
Communicating with people from different backgrounds, different levels within the company about tough subjects.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very nice, great team, good talks, looked forward to get into work in the morning.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It took a couple of months to get a clear direction as to where my placement was going to go, and then after 5 months my role changed. After the reorganizing of the team I feel the internship lost in structure and I did not work towards any objectives in the last few months of the year.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Received very little training.
Personal development started well with monthly meetings with my supervisor however after her departure this stopped and my personal development was not monitored particularly or invested in.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Although I believe I learnt a lot through this experience I don't believe the environment of this organisation is one that I want to pursue a career in. I also applied little to none of my degree in my placement, and don't see those skills required anywhere in this organisation, I did my degree in an area that I am passionate about and want to at least start my career making use of it.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Great sized group of interns. Also colleagues were of same age range.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Average UK costs for a medium-big city. A night out could cost up to 50£ if not careful but usually more like 20£.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Good clubs with classic/disco tunes, not so many clubs with new music, not much electro.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
STEM events, charity events and careers fairs were great way to get outside of work and meet people from other teams.