1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I think the main thing for your placement year is the experience you get. GE provides you the opportunity to work on projects as well as the normal daily tasks.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Really enjoyed working will all my colleagues on site, the people you work with daily do become friends. It is a minority of people but I sometimes found that as an intern, when contacting people that aren't in your department/business, your emails or attempts at contact can fall short and get ignored.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
It varies. Managers are very busy and don't have a huge amount of time to guide you as much as needed sometimes. For the most part I feel they are supportive and will put time aside if you request it.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Varies. Sometimes you can be very busy and sometimes you might have more time to work on your casual projects or some university based work. It is mostly a good balance.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
GE does allow you to take control of your work. A lot isn't managed, once you are trained on how to use the systems the company allows you to own this process. I would say it's a good amount of responsibility.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I think the confidence that doing a placement allows you to develop will help the most in the future.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Atmosphere in the office is really good. Can have a nice chat to the other interns and GE employees while also working. Everyone talks to everyone, very friendly. We also get to be involved in various activities within the office.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I joined quite late, a laptop wasn't ready for me so I didn't have access for a while.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was allowed to go on various business trips to increase my experience. I personally didn't take part in much training but this could be down to me not looking into this.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
GE has good leadership programs but I don't think they're for me.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, really good environment.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Rent was more expensive than I was used to, all around the £600pm mark. Other costs were normal.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Not much to do, but could travel to near by cities to do stuff.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?