1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my placement at L'Oreal - it was the ideal company for me to have my placement year as I'm so passionate about the beauty industry. I also love the qualities that L'Oreal stand for & encourage eg. innovation, collaboration, team work, thinking outside the box.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Very valued - I have a lot of responsibility in my role, and so definitely felt I gained the respect o my colleagues over the year.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Very much so - however because it's such a fast-paced company and everyone always has so much going on, I feel my manager supported me as well as they were able to, however a lot of the times I did feel I was left with a lot more responsibility than I should have been as an intern.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Extremely busy. Over the course of the year I think I only left work on time on a handful of occasions - usually I end up staying quite late, and leave the workplace still with a massive to-do list. There's never nothing to do!
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
An extraordinary amount. I definitely do not feel I was doing the job of an intern.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
So much - the skills I've gained over the course of this year have honestly been so invaluable, not only in learning about marketing in the workplace, but in transferable skills that I can take onto any role in the future.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
In my team the atmosphere is incredible - everyone gets on so well, there's always so much going on but we always have fun. In general at L'Oreal everything is so fast-paced, which also makes for a really exciting environment. Everyone also is quite young, so after-work drinks happen often and it's a really fun culture to be at. However, with such a fast-moving and demanding company, this often also comes with a lot of stress and high-pressure situations.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Quite organised I felt. The only thing that felt disorganised in the set-up of my internship was the ambiguity about the role I would do - I applied for digital marketing, and in the job description there was such a wide range of things. The actual roles in digital marketing vary so much, so until the week before my placement started I had no idea what I would actually be doing. This isn't a bad thing, it's just you could end up with a role very much different than what you thought you were applying for.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I received a lot of training on my role which was great, as I really feel I've been upskilled in my area of digital marketing. However, in terms of personal development, I definitely feel i have developed just through being in my role and learning from my team. However, because I'm always so busy, I feel i didn't really have the time during my internship to make the most of being at L'Oreal, and to go out and actively network, because i never really had the time!
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Really appealing - I'm applying for the graduate scheme and would love to continue a career at L'Oreal.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes definitely - there's a great intern culture at L'Oreal. You immediately meet a lot of other interns when you start in your division, and there's an intern social every month organised by the intern committee.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Really expensive, but that was expected with living & working in London!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Really good - coming from Bath University, it was great to be in London and have such a variety of choice for a night out!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I'm not involved in any work activities outside of work, apart from socialising with work colleagues after work.