1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The placement was a varying combination of fun and interesting, whilst also at times being very full on and stressful. You get thrown in right from the start which can be overwhelming at times but also enhances the learning curve and satisfaction gained from the placement.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I feel that I am valued highly by my direct colleagues (i.e those that I work with on a regular basis). Because the placement roles here tend to be fairly crucial to certain areas of the business, there isn't a massive gulf between yourself and permanent employees. There were times when you get pushed aside slightly by people you don't work with frequently however.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
There was a high level of support from management. Because I work very closely with my management on a daily basis, I've been provided with a lot of support wherever needed. It's well understood that this is a sompeltely new world for an intern and as much help is needed as possible.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Quiet days are very rare. There were times when the workload I had was probably too much, but it tended to even itself out after a couple of weeks.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I feel I was given a lot of responsibility. As previously mentioned, you get thrown straight into your role and learn very quickly so that by the end I am working completely independently.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I think that the skills gained will be of massive help in any future career. It is a very busy environment and you get an insight into a market leading company which is invaluable.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very cliché but it is a work hard play hard atmosphere
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I feel that whilst there was a structure, it was very much role specific as to how the placement was set up.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There were a few general trainings at the very start but nothing since. I would have like more role specific trainings and potentially the chance to go on the more advanced trainings that permanent employees were invited to.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The graduate scheme here offers the opportunity to rotate around the business, giving an insight into different potential career areas. Whilst there isn't a huge intake from interns to the grad scheme it is a great opportunity.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The social scene for the office in general is quite good, however this tended to be more organically managed. The organised intern socials tended to be very poor.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Lots of pubs/bars surrounding the office and then a quick tube in to central London.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There is a football team for men and volleyball team for women but not much apart from that.