1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
However sometimes a bit monotonous work, it was a very nice internship in a great team, with a really good group leader who make you think by yourself. Working hours are very good and on Fridays you only work until 11:45am, what is really nice.
Atmosphere between colleagues is very good and everybody helps each other out. In addition the payment is very good for an internship.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues were very nice and helpful to me. The work was valued a lot and at the end of the placement I gave a presentation to the plant director, who was very interested in the work we did. All together it was a great experience and I received a good support from my supervisor and boss.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The support and guidance was very good through the internship. I had a supervisor with who I could talk and ask as much questions as I wanted. Every two weeks I had a meeting with my boss were we discussed my work, what was going good and where I needed more support from people in order to get the work done.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
At the beginning of the placement together with my boss we made a time plan for the placement. The time plan was done by myself and it was ok to correct it later, if the amount of time given was too less or too much. So the content of my workload was mostly directed by myself, what made it very balanced.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The placement not just gave me the opportunity to improve my skills needed for my studies but also allowed me to improve my soft skills by giving different presentations to higher positions in the company. The boss was always very interested in making sure that the interns were learning something.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The general atmosphere in the office was very good. People were very nice too each other and always trying to help each other out. There was always time for some jokes. In addition in the office worked 4 more interns whit who you could spend your breaks, share experiences and plan activities for the weekends.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was organized very well. At the beginning of the placement you got a placement letter whit your project targets and a rough plan for the placement time. Together with the manager you could then discuss how you want to achieve the project goal and make a time plan for the placement.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The social scene amongst the students and colleagues was very good. All students used to get out together sometimes on Fridays and sometimes we did some activities together. In addition the whole team will go out for a Christmas dinner. Sadly there was no direct way to find out about other interns in other departments but we find each other through the lunch break in the canteen.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living in the area was lower than the payment of the company for the internship, what was very nice. This way there always was enough money left after the rent and food expenses for all type of activities, travel and nightlife and to save some money for later.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Sadly the nightlife was not as good as the nightlife in oxford, because the average age in town wsa pretty high. So there weren't too many clubs in the town and the average age of people there was pretty high. However the nightlife was still good and we had a lot of fun. in addition you can always go to london or oxford if you are missing something.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?