1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I did my internship in the Supply Chain Planning department of BMW UK Manufacturing Ltd. (Mini). It was a great experience. The team was awesome and I was integrated really quickly. We also had a lot of social events together, so the team gets 10/10 stars.
The work itself was most of the time really busy. However, I was involved in every single project that was going on in the department and from my point of view it was rewarding to stay in the office a bit longer than necessary because I learned a lot and I never want to miss this experience.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
As mentioned above, my colleagues are all great! Lots of laughs together but still focused on work.
At the beginning my colleagues introduced me patiently to every topic. Tasks were given in a pretty detailed way and if something was unclear they were always open for questions and they always found time to explain everything in detail.
Overall it was a pleasure to be in this department, I will definitely try to stay in contact with my colleagues and I would definitely come back.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My supervisor loves to work together with students. In this placement you are not the unmeaningful intern, you are a highly valued member of the team. He takes care that at the end of your placement you can consider yourself a fully qualified supply chain planner. In his opinion the youth is the future and he tries everything he can to give you as many insights in the daily work as possible.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Most of the days I was really busy and I had to work overtime. However, I enjoyed the whole working experience so that I actually liked to stay longer in the office.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given an enormous amount of responsibility. I was allowed to steer projects and it was my task to finish the projects on time. I was allowed to present the results in front of all logistics departments, i.e. physical logistics, logistics planning, etc.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Currently, I am studying business administration. This placement has provided me with a lot of skills and I will continue with my masters in Supply Chain Management.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was really good. A lot of laughs with my colleagues. They have become friends in this 6 months.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
There are many things you have to organise yourself.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Currently, most new members in the logistics departments are contractors. However, it is my aim to have an permanent role. Therefore, yes, I would like to work in this department but not as a contractor.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We had a lot of social events together, the atmosphere was great!
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Oxford is quite expensive. Flat prices and the costs of food etc. are really high. However, BMW pays you more than enough to be able to live here.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife is good. Many clubs and a lot of parties. Worth it!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?