1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my internship at BMW Group. Every day offered me a new learning opportunity that extended my knowledge and allowed me to put into practice my academic knowledge.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
From my first day I was welcomed as an equal member of my team and always had support from my colleagues. Within BMW Group no one treated you as an 'intern' or beneath them. I became part of the team meeting quickly and I felt my opinion was valued.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The balance between using my own initiative and the support that I was given was very good. I was introduced into my tasks and had the chance to plan on myself. I was always supported if I had any issues.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I had different daily and weekly tasks to do, however I never felt that it was unmanageable. I was never bored because my tasks were different and interesting.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
From the beginning I was given full responsibility over several tasks. The best part of my internship was that my responsibility grew continuously which forced me to improve my confidentiality and my planning skills.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
My transferable and technical skills grew over the placement which made a huge impact at my studies because I was able to relate an academic theories with a real-life situations.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office atmosphere was very friendly and calm. All of my colleagues was always happy to have a quick chat with me if I needed support.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I had a list of tasks which I had to manage on my own and other that I had to work in a team. All of the targets was clear from the beginning.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I had a change to participate at training sessions provided from business partners on how to use their IT products.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
It is a great place to work. The company offers wide range of possibilities and future career development programmes.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The intern community was very strong. We had lunch together at the plant`s canteen as well social activities outside work.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Oxford was quite expensive in terms of rent but the balance between the salary and the cost of living was very good
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
It was not bad. We had regular intern meetings. In Oxford there are plenty of places to go and loads of lovely bars. Also, it is only an hour away from London.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
BMW is a very big company and always different events are going on in the different plants across the UK.