Customer Value Manager - British Gas Commercial at Centrica

Staines Greater London
Energy

8.9/10

It was my job to build an Excel model to monitor the return on investment of running various phone campaigns. These campaigns exist to try and stop customers from leaving, but phoning them at key points in their customer journey where they are likely to want to leave.

It was my job to arrange meeting with various members of the business to attain pieces of analysis regarding this, and to validate the assumptions currently used in their old model. I also had to use a lot of Excel and Access to process data and produce a complicated model. Then it was a case of using my initiative to find new ways to improve the model further, by investigating new potential costs and benefits.

I thoroughly enjoyed my ten weeks here. I learnt so much and developed in so many more ways than I ever thought I would. The amount of support available was absolutely outstanding, with interesting work, and I was fully integrated into the team of full-time colleagues by the end of my time here.

By the time I was settled into the role, I could definitely feel like I was part of the team, and I have made really good friends from my work colleagues to carry with me into the future.

My managers and colleagues were extremely supportive, following the progress of both my work and my personal development throughout the placement. They didn't smother me with help intentionally, to allow me to solve problems for myself. But help was always there when I needed it, and they would answer all of my many questions with patience and interest. I was also given a colleague between myself and my manager to work closely with, providing an extra source of contact aside from my busy manager.

The workload was excellent, my objectives were tough but achievable through hard work, with plenty of avenues to investigate to improve my project further.

I was in charge of building an entire Model for which around £10 million worth of Return on Investment relied on. If I worked inaccurately, big business decisions could be made based on incorrect assumptions, which would significantly reduce the success of the company.

I have developed in so many more ways than I ever thought I would, with massively improved confidence and productivity as just two examples. This will massively improve how I go about studying for my final year, and I now have an incomparably better idea of what working life is like when I go onto a graduate scheme in the future.

When my team were in, it was great fun, with everyone willing to chat with you about both work or non-work topics. Occasionally the office could be pretty empty, due to people being based in various offices around the country, but on the whole it was excellent to work in.

The graduate team did an excellent job of ensuring we were happy in our work, and we always understood what was required of us at each stage of the process. Help was always available when we required it.

There were endless opportunities to visit different parts of the business and meet new people in offices all over the country. They strongly encouraged any sort of activity that would develop you further, and in many ways personal development was more important to them than the work that I achieved whilst here.

Very high rate of placements are recommended onto the graduate scheme. I have yet to hear back, so don't want to tempt fate regarding my progression!

Centrica arranged for us to live with all of the other summer placement students in accommodation which was paid for us. This meant meeting you people was inevitable, and there were plenty of opportunities to socialise in the evenings.

Based in the outskirts of West London...so not too cheap, but much better than I was expecting. And the free accommodation made a huge difference.

Plenty of pubs in the area, and various clubs in Windsor.

You had to make your own opportunities, but they were certainly there.