Working within the Operations department. Operations is a broad term to cover manufacturing basically. I got involved with several departments, Quality department technical department as well as production. In quality I looked at things like return requests. product shipment audits and supplier quality. In techincal I looked at the way we test products and also got involved with some NPI's, new products. Production I looked at more lean based duties such as improving change over and other process's that happen in the factory.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Thoroughly enjoyed my placement year. It has been a great experiance and I would recommend anyone to do one.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
You quickly become one of the team and given responibility straight away.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Monthly reviews are conducted giving you feedback which really helps. Your supervisor will always be there to help you out.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
As you settle in the work load increases which I think is a good thing as this will test your time management and ability to meet deadlines.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
If you prove yourself capable the company will provide you with as much responsibility as possible which is rewarding.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I think a placement year is invaluabe in terms of the experiance you gain.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
A good balance of fun and work all year.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well structured around various training throughout the year and monthly and quarterly reviews to make sure you are still on track.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
High amount of training provided, usefull training which will help you in future life.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I have been accepted onto cooper's graduate scheme. There is always the oppertunity for a placement student to be accepted onto the graduate scheme provided you impress throughout the year!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, Iived with 2 others working at Cooper so we often socialised, other events such as xmas parties and leaving do's etc also meant that we would socialise in a big group
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
We lived in the capital city Cardiff so things were slightly more expensive than around work it self but still cheaper than when im at university.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
As above we were based in cardiff rather than close to work.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I lived with 2 other guys working at Cooper so we generally had a good social life outside of work.