1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
My time completing my placement was incredible, the help and support I received massively aided my initial introduction into a business role and continued throughout my placement. With a large and varied amount of tasks that kept me deeply involved in my role, teaching me many new business and engineering skills that I will be able to further develop in the future.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues from all across my facility were all extremely friendly and helpful, from the operators on the shop floor to the plant manager and directors, I was able to meet and talk to all of them on an equal basis, and they were more than willing to help. The members of my team, all made sure I was involved and assisted me throughout my placement.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had weekly meetings with my direct supervisor, where we covered business standards and leadership models/ practices as well as discussing the tasks I had been completing. Each month I also had a meeting with my HR Manager to ensure the placement was going covering the topics I was interested in, as well as bi-annually meetings with my placement supervisor to review how I felt the overall placement was going.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
On a daily basis I had a mixture of small and quick tasks as well as larger projects that lasted a couple of months. The balance of this changed consistently throughout my placement, and almost always ensured I had a task to complete. Some days definitely were completely packed and other days were sparse, though this was mainly towards the beginning of my placement when I had less of my own tasks/ roles to complete.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The tasks I was given to complete were my complete responsibility to complete on time and thoroughly, however I still had support from both my team members and manager whom could assist me in my tasks. I still had the same amount of responsibility when working as part of a group on larger tasks, to ensure what I had been tasked was complete.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
In my office I was surround by a large relaxed and easy going group, that kept a positive attitude all the time, often making jokes and having fun. However, this did not get in the way of the job being correctly completed, and when it was required the team got on and completed their tasks in an efficient and professional manner.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement has been on going for many years and the business knows how to organise the interns to ensure they understand where they are going to work and what they will be doing. As the business is very large there are often new plants taking interns, and as such also learn throughout the placement how best to develop and assist the interns.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
EATON is spread out across many different engineering sectors, and are always looking to expand and grow into new ones. This provides a great opportunity to get a new and exiting job in an upcoming engineering business sector. This also means that EATON is always looking to recruit and hire new employees with the correct mind set and skills to help the company grow.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
All the other placement students were very friendly and sociable, and when we had intern training events, everyone worked well together to aide and improve each other as well as themselves. When there were multi day events, all the interns would go out and be social with each other after the training day was complete. At my work there was also a facility wide Christmas party as well as some smaller social events organised within the team.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were a few opportunities to get involved outside of work, either as sport or social. Throughout the year there is a badminton social group that plays every week, as well as a 5 a side football that met up throughout the year, which were both held at local sports venues. There was a social society that held events throughout the year, that were aimed at different groups and sizes.