* Conducting research on technical solutions for submarine cable projects
* Assist in drafting technical reports and cost documents
* Liaising with external subcontractors
* Taking part in client presentations
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
My placement at Prysmain group in Chelmsford was an excellent experience. I was exposed to a lot of the technicalities surrounding Subsea cable installation including equipment and documentation of past and current projects.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I believe I fit in well in my department and the office overall. I was treated as an equal by everyone and could rely on assistance when needed.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I never had any issues when asking for guidance by my supervisor. My managers would make time to assist me whenever necessary.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
My workload varied on a daily basis depending on the projects I was working on, however it was generally a good balance. My line manager made sure I didn't feel overloaded and I was encouraged to ask for more work if my workload was running low. When and if there were days where I was less busy I would be encouraged to work on my own projects.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Given that Submarine cable installation was such a high cost industry I was never given full control over individual projects. My job consisted mainly of assisting managers in drafting technical reports and cost documents and conducting research on technical solutions for submarine cable projects. I have also answered question from customers directly. I have been tasked with writing a technical manual on how to use GIS software for internal use to help train new employees.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
While my duties as an installation engineer did not have me working on the technical aspects of submarine cable installation, it did give me the access to the documents in order to research the design and electrical capabilities of prysmian group products. There has been a significant improvement in my soft skill during my placement including communication, working within a team and my ability to research topics.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in my office was very friendly and pleasant to work in. Everyone is happy to help each other to get work done and with the size of the office it is easy to go talk to other departments.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The overall work placement set up was somewhat lacking. As mentioned there were several moment where there I as left to keep myself busy as there was nothing planned prematuresly. However, my superviser used every opportunity to learn something new with every new project.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
During idle time in between projects I was given the opportunity to work on my personal training and development of skill I was interested in and was even encouraged to dues so. There was no financial investment in my development.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Prysmain group offers various graduate schemes across their sites in the UK and Europe.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There is an opportunity to socialise with all the other Pryismain group placement students during office and holiday events
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?