Support the financial control of Sony Europe (SEU) Fixed SGA.
Supporting the following activities;
- month end close,
- variance analysis,
- management reporting,
- business partnering SEU platforms,
- annual budgeting.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my placement year at Sony, it has given me an insight into the business environment. The company culture and community of interns at Sony definitely contributed positively to my experience. Everyone is very friendly and happy to help, this helped me settle into my new role fairly quickly.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was given a lot of responsibility, which allowed me to gain a broad understanding of the business and how it operates. I felt like I was a valued member of the team and company. Being part of a team of 3 with shared responsibility gave me a big sense of contribution and worth.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager had a lot of responsibility and over viewed three different teams. His management style taught me how to work more independently and improved my decision making. This is something that has helped me to become more confident in myself. I did feel quite distant from him at beginning but this was something I adapted to.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Due to the nature of my role, I was very busy after Month-end and less busy during the middle of the month. This was also something that I became adapted to. It taught me how to use my time efficiently and prioritise tasks appropriately. I often stayed later during busy periods to ensure tasks were complete, and to support my team. This was sometimes but not always expected of me.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was surprised at how much responsibility I was given and this was something that I found rewarding. It made me feel part of the team and allowed me to contribute independently. I also took on additional tasks once I gained the trust of my team and proved my capabilities.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The placement has provided me with the opportunity to experience working in a business environment. It has also provided me with a variety of professional skills which I can utilise and develop after graduation. In addition it has allowed me to apply and develop the skills I have previously acquired; helping me to become a well-rounded professional.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very good atmosphere, the surrounding teams were friendly and made me feel very welcome. It was nice to be part of a community of other interns of a similar age.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Once I started, the organisation of the placement was good. However, between accepting the offer and starting placement I received no communication at all.
I believe a lot of the confusion came from Hays who we are contracted through. They are completely hopeless!
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There were occasional training courses we could sign up to, however, they were often full or rescheduled. I think Sony could organise training programmes specifically for interns to support their development.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I made a variety of connections with in the business which I hope to utilise once I graduate. Future prospects are not certain due to changes in available vacancies etc. However, I know several employees who returned after their placement year.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were 16 other interns based in the same office, a fun room to play pool at lunch and several meet up days to meet with the interns based elsewhere. It is what you make of it really..
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Being based in Surrey living costs were expensive, which I feel should be better reflected in the salary. Its not a cheap area, but it is possible to get by.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There were several pubs which we went to every now and then but no real night life. However, there is several cities nearby and London is possible; again, it is what you make of it. You can forget student prices for a year!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Not as many opportunities as a permanent employee, and very few 'official' social events. Mainly just organised within our teams.