Field Sales Internship:
A 12-week field sales internship frontline selling to customers, managing a geographical area and visiting local cafes, delis and local newsagents such as Premier, Costcutter, and Nisa to increase the distribution of Walkers, Tropicana and Quaker products.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Great company culture!!! An invaluable opportunity to work for a global FMCG, whilst gaining an insight into the world of sales.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The support network is good, you are set up with a buddy, mentor, and manager, not to forget your internship managers as well.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
You were out in the field on your own which was a bit daunting at first but the manager was always at the end of the phone.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Targets were high but 100% achievable.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was surprised with the amount of responsibility given to you. After one week training, you were given your own vehicle and your own call file to follow. There was definitely no shadowing.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
N/A I had already completed my studies before enrolling on the internship.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Not based in the office. You are on your own day to day, so if you like working directly with someone this is not the role for you.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Organised well in some places but there was a lot of confusion regarding our call files in the first week, also there was a long lead time in reclaiming your expenses which are not ideal for a skint student.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Training and care was good, received training from lead directors in the business.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing. Their graduate program excels individuals through the business.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Everyone in the placement had a facebook group to connect each other through. PepsiCo even took us to festivals to promote the product.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Worked in my area and stayed at home so costs were low.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Worked at home so was brill
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Minimal as we were all regional based, I'm pretty sure the London gang socialised outside of work.