CAD Design an Test Engineer at Prysmian Group

Wrexham North West
Engineering Mechanical Engineering Product Design/Industrial Design

8.1/10

Join the technical/engineering team who design, test and support a range of low and medium voltage cable accessories.
Typical tasks include:
Working as an integral part of the team to help achieve its objectives of product design, testing and provide manufacturing and customer support.
Undertake design activities using our state of the art 3D CAD system, also taking advantage of our in-house 3D rapid prototype facility.
Manage production of prototypes for type testing of new products.
Undertake bench-marking of Prysmian and competitor products in order to identify cost reduction opportunities.
Build and manage product test types within the laboratory in Wrexham and external test houses.
Opportunities will be provided to gain first-hand experience of project review meetings, some including external customers.

I really enjoyed the work I was given and felt very welcome.

I felt as though I wasn't just a student, I was never talked down to and help was available whenever I needed it. The technical team are all very supportive.

I had a lot of help from my mentor in my work. He made sure I was prioritising my work and utilising my time effectively.

There were weeks where there'd be a bit of a lull in work, but most of the time I was very busy. I was never overwhelmed though, as I quickly learnt how to properly prioritise which tasks needed to be completed first.

I was given responsibility of 1 major project, was involved with 3 other major projects and various other minor projects.

Working at Prysmian really put the skills I'd learnt at university into real life situations. I also learnt a huge amount of technical skills will be very useful in the future.

The atmosphere was brilliant, never a day where someone didn't make me laugh. Everyone was very friendly but hard working. All the team members in the office were incredibly helpful and willing to answer any questions I had,

The company are very organised with placement students as there are numerous at Bishopstoke and Wrexham. There is always a 2 week hand over period with the previous student and the replacement, which is incredibly helpful as it can always be a little daunting to ask questions so it was nice to be able to get a student's view, opinions and recommendations.

I had no external training, but I did get the chance to do product testing in Budapest on something I had designed. Most training was done in the office and lab, just learning all of the programs, applications and procedures that Prysmian use.

Very appealing

I was invited to lots of social events out of work hours, such as going to a local pub quiz and playing football. It's hit and miss with the other placement students, as during my year the others lived at home with their families because they were fairly local.

The accommodation I lived in was fairly cheap as it was a house share with other professionals. Socialising was cheap too.

Not the best as Wrexham is a small town. Chester has a better nightlife but for someone living in Wrexham taxis can be expensive.

There is 5-a-side football every Wednesday evening on a pitch next to the site that's a good way of keeping fit and to make friends.