Internship in UBS Operations - involved lots PEx project work. This meant lots of analysis of data and suggesting areas from improvement.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed my work and the team was great. However, there were times when it was a tad dull.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Generally, had a very good relationship with my team and manager and I was able to make a constructive impact. My opinion was valued in group discussions.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had several conversations with my manager about my strengths and weaknesses (more than most other interns). I was allowed to experiment but also perfectly able to ask for help when needed,
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was fairly busy all the time bar the last week which I spent wrapping up loose ends
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a large project to conduct myself. Once I had completed this I took on a responsibility for coordinating and pushing forward another project my manager had been working on.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have progressed hugely with my organizational and project management skills which will help me balance my studies in my final year. In addition the problem-solving and communication skills I have developed will be invaluable when I leave university.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It was reasonably relaxed, especially on Fridays when we sent out for food. We also had Ops Funday with Office golf etc.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I think there were areas for improvement (the amount of work people were given was left to the discretion of their manager and consequently some people may have missed out.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We had a week of training at the start and then then ongoing meetings every Wednesday. These were dull but informative. A lot of the training was on the job and the amount of it was driven largely by myself.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I have an offer and will probably accept.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I made a decent group of friends during the internship and we went out at weekends as well as for after work drinks.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Working in the city it was obviously very expensive. However, we were paid handsomely and so could afford to go out regularly.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I was living in Central London so the nightlife was excellent. Only downside being the cost and the fact that London is so spread out.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I think there were but I didn't really take advantage and I don't know of any interns who did.