Food and Beverage Intern at Hilton

Food and Drink

4.9/10

4.8
3.4

Cocktail server, Waitress in inside bar, inside cafe and restaurant, outside bar room service and 'deli' attendant.

Homesickness and the heat especially the humidity makes it really hard to settle in.

My supervisors always had my best interests at heart but higher management weren't really interested, as if I was just cheap labour to them.

South Carolina has major extremes in high and low seasons

My placement was the best and worst year of my life. I will definately use the skills that I learnt during the past year.

The other interns in the hotel made it fun. My peers kept me going!

They just kind of left the interns too it. We went to our HR manager with problems and nothing was done about them. She had a capability of talking you out of how you were feeling. You'd leave thinking better, but none of the issues had been resolved.

We had meetings every other week when we would learn about different areas of the hotel, but it tended to be a manager of the hotel just running us through their day for half and hour.

I'd go back and visit just to see my old colleagues, but I would never work there again!

I was twenty for ten months of my placement in america......but there were a lot of other interns on the island, many of them english. We had loads of fun, water sports, beach life!

Accommodation was expensive, but the rent came straight out of your pay (bi weekly) living is generally cheap out there.

It's not a party island, but there are a lot of things and places to go that can be really fun. Lots of sports bars and one 24 hour place. Kareoke, dancing on bars, lots of outside bars.

In the high season theres lots of water sports you can do.