Cocktail server, Waitress in inside bar, inside cafe and restaurant, outside bar room service and 'deli' attendant.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Homesickness and the heat especially the humidity makes it really hard to settle in.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My supervisors always had my best interests at heart but higher management weren't really interested, as if I was just cheap labour to them.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
South Carolina has major extremes in high and low seasons
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
My placement was the best and worst year of my life. I will definately use the skills that I learnt during the past year.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The other interns in the hotel made it fun. My peers kept me going!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
They just kind of left the interns too it. We went to our HR manager with problems and nothing was done about them. She had a capability of talking you out of how you were feeling. You'd leave thinking better, but none of the issues had been resolved.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We had meetings every other week when we would learn about different areas of the hotel, but it tended to be a manager of the hotel just running us through their day for half and hour.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I'd go back and visit just to see my old colleagues, but I would never work there again!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I was twenty for ten months of my placement in america......but there were a lot of other interns on the island, many of them english. We had loads of fun, water sports, beach life!
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Accommodation was expensive, but the rent came straight out of your pay (bi weekly) living is generally cheap out there.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
It's not a party island, but there are a lot of things and places to go that can be really fun. Lots of sports bars and one 24 hour place. Kareoke, dancing on bars, lots of outside bars.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
In the high season theres lots of water sports you can do.