Summer internship (2010) with the HSBC Commercial Banking Europe team. I was given responsibility for a number of various tasks: I created a competitor footprint analysis document, providing details of competitor commercial banks in Spain, Poland and the UK, which the Commercial Banking Europe team still uses today. I also completed customer and product audits, aiding the manager of products and services to analyse their performance thus far in 2010.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The work, despite being valuable, didn't provide many chances to see the other functions of the central commercial bank. I would have liked to have been given more chances to experience some of the other departments within their team.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Many employees were on vacation, which meant that people were stretched and had a lot of work. A lot of the time I had to rely on initiative.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was in the office 8am - 7pm most days.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The document I created was vital to the team, and is still used today.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I gained valuable insight into the workings of a central corporate banking function, and I developed broad perspective of the European commercial banking industry as a whole.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Busy but welcoming and pleasant.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
HR were fantastic.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Was offered another internship, but chose to change my focus from commercial banking to wealth management.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?