Intern at HSBC

HSBC is a Top Employer

6.1/10

7.3

4.8

Summer internship (2010) with the HSBC Commercial Banking Europe team. I was given responsibility for a number of various tasks: I created a competitor footprint analysis document, providing details of competitor commercial banks in Spain, Poland and the UK, which the Commercial Banking Europe team still uses today. I also completed customer and product audits, aiding the manager of products and services to analyse their performance thus far in 2010.

The work, despite being valuable, didn't provide many chances to see the other functions of the central commercial bank. I would have liked to have been given more chances to experience some of the other departments within their team.

Many employees were on vacation, which meant that people were stretched and had a lot of work. A lot of the time I had to rely on initiative.

I was in the office 8am - 7pm most days.

The document I created was vital to the team, and is still used today.

I gained valuable insight into the workings of a central corporate banking function, and I developed broad perspective of the European commercial banking industry as a whole.

Busy but welcoming and pleasant.

HR were fantastic.

Was offered another internship, but chose to change my focus from commercial banking to wealth management.