1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
A young and motivated team with a huge expanse of cultures and characters. Everyone is extremely welcoming, always ready to help and a load of fun as well.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I joined with a group of full-timers, had the same training, the same level of exposure and the same perspectives. Never felt like the "intern". You're put on the same progression and take on responsibilities as quickly as your own ability allows, i.e. I was never limited by the fact that I was an intern.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Everyone is extremely approachable and more than ready to offer a hand. I was allocated a direct mentor on the team as well as a work "buddy" from a different team so there was always the opportunity for dialogue regardless of the topic.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
As mentioned, you take on as much as you can manage and the amount of work, while varying from month to month, kept me busy enough, and thankfully, I did not have any of those moments where you just stare at the screen as I know some of my course mates on different placements did!
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
As mentioned, there is always the opportunity to take on more if you are able and you are never restricted by being an intern. Always important to note however that there is only so much you can advance in a couple of months!
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Placements are hugely beneficial as they allow us to put our theories and studies into practice and see how they work in the real world and AlphaSights is no different. You come out having gained an insight into how different industries move and operate, while also being well-versed in how you present yourself, communication skills and management to an extent.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The company mainly consists of recent graduates and highly motivated people who are always raring to jump on to the next piece of work. It is an extremely exciting environment where something is always happening!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement start date was coordinated with the start date of 3 other full time joiners, so I was brought into the company with them, went through the same training and induction sessions and before long we were on the desk working with our teams as if we've been there all along.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
On your team you will have a manager as well as a dedicated mentor who typically sits next to you. You always have a "buddy" from a different team/segment for more open discussions. Also, extensive training sessions, organised team outings and invited speakers are all part of the role.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Many placement students have been asked to come back. The interview process is designed to select the people they want, regardless if its a full-time or an internship and there is a good chance of future employment!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
You tend to become very close to the group that you join with, while also forming strong relationships with your team. Sports teams are a big part of the office and further help you meet and get to know everyone in the office.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
We're currently based just off Bond Street. It is Mayfair and prices are never going to be ideal.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Definitely some great bars and pubs around the area. Never going to be too cost effective though!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Loads of chances to get involved across the board be it charity work all the way to sports societies and joining anything and everything is welcomed!