My role was split between marketing and sales. Within the sales role I input the sales data from the vast portfolio of products and customers that life cycle management had into a database system and looked over the approval process of these. This involved working with multiple departments to ensure that customers were paid on time. As well as this, I ran the monthly accruals for my department. I also looked over a pricing system and was the UK liaison for pricing enquiries within EMEA.
In regards to marketing I liaised with marketing agencies for the production and approval of marketing materials that were to be used in the promotion of products. I was also involved in the preparation and running of promotional and non-promotional events for certain products. I was also in charge of the logistics of a product, which was delivered by a homecare company - I had to ensure that we had enough stock of marketing and patient support materials through working with them and agencies.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed my placement because it was varied in terms of the work I got to do
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt valued because I was entrusted with a large amount of responsibility, although this was good sometimes I felt like my colleagues were not aware of my workload and it seemed like they were not always appreciative of my efforts
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
There is always someone to ask for guidance in the office if you are not understanding of something, support was given but I would've liked more support from my immediate team
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was always busy, there was never a day without work apart from when I first started and was getting introduced to my job and projects
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given quite a large amount of responsibility, I undertook work that wasn't in my role specifications owards the end of my placement and was not treated like a student throughout but more like a full time employee
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I've learnt are very transeferable, not only in work but in life itself. i've learnt a lot of social skills which will help me for years to come. The training at Janssen was very good and students undertook training days in things such as excel, powerpoint skills and personal development
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere is quite relaxed and everyone I sat around was very helpful if I was stuck on something and they were friendly too
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was well organised although some of the student training days could have been placed better placed throughout the year in order for them to have more of an impact and to be of better use
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company invested a lot into our traning and there was always scope to get further training if it was relevant to your work at your manager's discretion
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The senior roles are appealing to me so I wouldn't mind coming back to the company when i have gained more experience for that type of role
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
High Wycombe has nice places to eat, and Marlow close by has the same as well
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were football and netball clubs to get involved in and also charity days for helping out locally