Perform wear tests
Perform screening wear tests
Support new product development through testing
Write reports and literature
Investigate returned components
Conference with tandem USA team
Many side projects both given and self-initiated
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
A combination of an excellent and inclusive role, working evironment and mentor ensured I was always happy within my role and the company as a whole.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was valued as much as any other employee at my level. Whilst this was at a relatively low level, it didn't affect what jobs/tasks were available to me or how much my input mattered.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
An assigned mentor met with me once a week (with the option of more or less as I desired and felt appropriate) to discuss my current work load, personal progression and to address any questions that I had. This was especially useful when working on a more complicated or significant subject. My mentor was also available at any time during the day if I had any questions.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I always had at least one primary objective to work on, and many side projects that got worked on in the background. I often found myself with a choice of what to do and was rearely short of work.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given the same responibility as any other employee at the same level (entry level/E1) which was a lot. I ran state-of-the-art tests the same as the other technical staff including those at the highest technical level. I had my own work area in the lab and two machines in there that "belonged" to me, they were my responsibility and I managed everything invloved with them, from setting them up and taking them down, to ordering new parts for them when old ones got worn or damaged. My projects were used to assist new product development and to verify previous tests and equipment.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Training was assigned on both a push and a pull basis. Much of the training was considered mandatory, such as how to use statistics in regard to our tests in our field. Other training was offered if we requested it, such as cadaver sessions to get a better understanding of the human anatomy. Most of the training however was ongoing, such as technical writing skills, this was the sort of training that you experienced everyday, I now feel my report writing has developed tenfold from when I first arrived at Depuy.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone was happy, positive and helpfula round the office. It was an inclusive environment that encouraged questions and curiosity, All the employees, including me, were happy to answer anyones questions at any time.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
As soon as I arrived, the first week was all planned out for me and rough guidelines were given to me on where to spend my time suring the second week. The first week gave me a rapid introduction to the company and the department. I had jury duty on the third and fourth weeks and this was accounted for quickly; my introduction was alterred accordingly, with some things being delayed and others being brought forward.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
External training was offered to me as much as any other employee including training sesssions worth hundreds of pounds. If I felt I needed training or equipment then I could request it with no hassle at all.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Depuy is great to work for and there are many opportunities within for expansion. I was offered an extention with them, which I readily accepted. Secondment opportunities are available within the company, this involves working in another department for a fixed term before returning to your original department, or sometimes as a permanent position. This allows employees to get a better understanding of the company, and allows the company to make the most of its employee resource. Promotions and bonuses are also readily available for all employees.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living and socialising in the area I work and live in was cheap, though I lived about 10 miles from the site. In terms of price it is similar to other northern areas, such as Liverpool.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?