1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have really enjoyed my work placement at DePuy Synthes. I have had the opportunity to gain hands on experience in an international healthcare company and have learned many skills which will help me in my career following university.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
At DePuy you are not treated like a student, you are treated like a real employee. My colleagues have been so welcoming and helpful right from the start. You can really sense the supportive atmosphere in the office. You will also always be recognised by your colleagues for your hard work.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I could not have asked for a better manager. We had regular reviews throughout the year and I was given very helpful feedback which helped me develop and further network in the business. My manager was very supportive and always helped motivate me.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It would vary throughout the year. Because of the industry there are busier periods. During the times where it was less busy it gave me the opportunity to focus on my projects.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I had my own projects and areas of the business which I looked after. My placement really gave me the opportunity to take ownership and develop my leadership skills.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Throughout my whole year I was given constant opportunity to develop my employability skills. I have gained a vast range of hard and soft skills which I can show future employers. I believe my new found skills will also help in my final year studies as I now have real industry experience.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
In our office there was a constant buzz. You could always sense the hard working atmosphere. Everyday was a different as you never knew who would be in the office each day. This gave great networking opportunities.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well organised.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
DePuy invest a lot of time in their placement students. They spend the first half of the year training and teaching you everything you need to know about the role and the company, the second half of the year gives you the opportunity to take ownership and learn to work more independently and lead others.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Within DePuy there are no graduate opportunities however as DePuy is a Johnson & Johnson franchise it opens up opportunities in other J&J graduate schemes.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
DePuy take on a lot of placemnt students therefore there was a great social scene There were often nights out organised with students and other colleagues.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I attend university in Leeds. The cost of living and socialising here is a lot cheaper than down South.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Because of the vast student population nightlife in Leeds is great.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Johnson & Johnson are heavily involved in CSR so there was a lot of opportunity to get involved in activities outside of work. Some examples of this are the 3 peaks challenge and a rowing challenge.