Industrial placement at Air Products

6.9/10

7.3

5.2

Merchant Gases Department - working with applications such as food freezers

I really enjoyed my placement! I got the chance to work on a range of different projects, had a great balance between desk work and practice work as well as visits to customer sites. Also worked alongside some lovely people who were really helpful and supportive.

I do think that the work I carried out was useful and was valued, I didn't get a project to myself just because of the work load that year, so instead worked on a number of different projects led by others.

I was given a lot of support and guidance throughout the year, which was great. I never felt like I didn't understand my task or the reason for carrying it out.

I always had some work to do, but of course some days were busier than others, but this really helps to develop your time management skills to deal with a number of tasks at one time.

I had some responsibility to carry out experiments and complete my own work, but I don't think I had a huge amount of responsible. This was really based on the fact that I didn't have my own project so really depends on the work that is available.

I learnt a lot of new skills during my placement, dealing with new pieces of equipment, working from first principle to carry out calculations, working in the lab with large piece of equipment such as food freezer as well as dealing with new computer programmes. But I also developed on existing skills such as report writing, excel skills and working within a team. I got to complete safety training such as Hazop training. Also by spend a year working within a company I am definitely more confident in my own engineering ability.

The atmosphere in the office was really friendly, everyone was very helpful and we would have cake for everyone’s birthday!

The placement was pretty well organised, the work which you have depends on your manager and what work is available. However they will always try to give you a range of tasks to help you make the most of the year and to take every opportunity available to you.

The company really helped me to learn as much as possible giving me opportunities for new training, a little travelling and exposure to the different areas of the company.

Air Products has a great graduate scheme which last 5 years and gives you the chance to change roles throughout this time to allow you to see what best suits you. And everyone I would with were really nice and approachable, so I would definitely consider this.

There is a larger population of graduates and placement students at the main offices in Hersham but as I was based in Basingstoke (about 1 hour away) there were only a few graduates, although we did organise a few dinners after work and had a few lunches out for peoples birthdays etc Also everyone is welcome to the events in Hersham.

Within Basingstoke the average rent including bills for a room is around £400-£500 per month. There are buses which cost around £50 per month but it is a lot easier to get around with a car. But your salary should cover the cost of living.

There are bars/restaurants/night clubs in Basingstoke centre but Reading is about 20mins away which is a university city so usually has a lot more to do. The train to London is quite often and costs about £20 return and takes about 45mins.

In the Basingstoke office there wasn’t many opportunities, but I did get to help with liquid nitrogen demo at a school and helping out a teen tech.