I worked on a support desk for Fixed Income Repo traders. In addition to support, I worked on tasks that would ease the workload of my desk: automation scripts in VBA, server migrations, autosys jobs, documenting work.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
We received excellent treatment. A series of social events were organised for us, we were given lectures giving us insight into the business, we had the opportunity to meet 10 MDs.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I worked in an excellent team, I was given precise objectives for my internship on week 1 and had the freedom to choose how I would meet them. I had the opportunity to choose additional objectives in areas of interest throughout the internship. My colleagues frequently gave me feedback and help, I was invited to events outside work.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
We had buddies, mentors and understanding line managers to help us in our tasks throughout the internship.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I choose ambitious objectives, as a result I was continuously interested.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was free to choose the path I took to reach my objectives, I received guidance when I asked for it. Some of my tasks, if poorly executed could have had a negative impact on the bank's trading operations (e.g. I migrated a pricing server and the repo traders would have flown blind for several hours ) and I was trusted - which gave me the incentive to do my job in a first class way.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I've learnt a great amount of technical skills throughout the internship, I also place great value in the relationships and social skills I've acquired - those will serve me throughout my life.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Much time was given for lectures and for us to learn.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I will be joining Barcap in February
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
It was excellent and we regularly met outside work hours.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The salary made up for the cost of living.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Different challenges: a marathon, dragon boat racing... etc