Analyst in Global Technology at Barclays

Canary Wharf Central London and City
Information Technology

9.8/10

I worked on a support desk for Fixed Income Repo traders. In addition to support, I worked on tasks that would ease the workload of my desk: automation scripts in VBA, server migrations, autosys jobs, documenting work.

We received excellent treatment. A series of social events were organised for us, we were given lectures giving us insight into the business, we had the opportunity to meet 10 MDs.

I worked in an excellent team, I was given precise objectives for my internship on week 1 and had the freedom to choose how I would meet them. I had the opportunity to choose additional objectives in areas of interest throughout the internship. My colleagues frequently gave me feedback and help, I was invited to events outside work.

We had buddies, mentors and understanding line managers to help us in our tasks throughout the internship.

I choose ambitious objectives, as a result I was continuously interested.

I was free to choose the path I took to reach my objectives, I received guidance when I asked for it. Some of my tasks, if poorly executed could have had a negative impact on the bank's trading operations (e.g. I migrated a pricing server and the repo traders would have flown blind for several hours ) and I was trusted - which gave me the incentive to do my job in a first class way.

I've learnt a great amount of technical skills throughout the internship, I also place great value in the relationships and social skills I've acquired - those will serve me throughout my life.

Great atmosphere.

Perfectly articulated

Much time was given for lectures and for us to learn.

I will be joining Barcap in February

It was excellent and we regularly met outside work hours.

The salary made up for the cost of living.

Great

Different challenges: a marathon, dragon boat racing... etc