As a summer intern, tasks varied but essentially revolved around gaining greater understandings of customer interactions within the retail and commercial arms of the bank. As such, product knowledge was important and the policies and procedures of the bank quickly fell into place. Furthermore, line managers set a business project for you to undertake during your internship upon which you report, in some cases to quite senior management, at the conclusion of your placement. Additionally there are many opportunities to network with the current graduate community as well as participate in community days out.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
This very much depended upon your line manager and who was in the office on the day.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Having real tasks and responsibilities made the job worth while.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given lots of support but also had the flexibility I needed to pursue the activities that interested me most.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
A good balance.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
If you ask, you get...
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Quite specialist skills placed me well for a career in banking.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
A very helpful group of people who generally would do anything to help.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Great scheme that was well set out and has clearly evolved well over the years.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Went to final assessment center but got refused.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
It could be as good or as bad as you made it.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Stayed in my university accommodation.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Quiet without the student population in town.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Over the seven weeks I went paint-balling as well as to a couple of corporate networking events.