To play an active role in the audit at different client sites. This involved auditing cash, fixed assets, other debtors. And carrying out some routine checking tasks and also doing a desktop review of an entity.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my placement as I was given real resbonsibilty from the start and it just confirmed to me that this is what I would like to do as a full time job.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt very valued once again because I was given a lot of responsibility and was treated like a graduate. I felt as if I was contributing to the audit and that my work was appreciated.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Management were extremely helpful and more than willing to help if asked however the coaching was predominantly done by someone more junior who had been with the firm for a couple of years, because obviously they had been doing similar sort of task for two years.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was quite busy most of the time but I understand that this is the nature of the industry that I am working in. If ever I was struggling because to busy then people were more than willing to help. I
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
As mentioned earlier I was given a lot of responsibilty, for example on one year end audit I was soley responsible for auditing fixed assets which I felt was real responsibility, however my work was reviewed and plenty of help was available when needed.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
They have really helped because they have increased my knowledge of accounting which is useful for my course. It has also helped to improve my time management skills which is very useful at university. It also made me more confident when speaking on the phone and to people in authority as this is something that I had to do throughout my internship.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
I was on two audits and on one the atmosphere was fantastic and I felt as though I had known the people for years and we achieved good results as a team. On the other audit the people were lovely again and very helpful but it was a bit more dull than the first audit.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I thought it was extremely good from start to finish from the training week, right through to on the actual audits.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Again I felt that the training given was quite rigourous and we were in a fancy hotel and it made me feel really good and like the firm were making a real investment in me. Then more indirectly I feel a real investment was made by the amount of time spent by people more senior to me helping me and coaching me.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing as you are well looked after and there is a really nice atmosphere in the company, filled withe enthusiastic young people. They are a company that have a very good reputation and I look forward to hopefully working there in the future.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Very good internally, the other internship people and me got on extremely well. The buddy system was also very good as I went out for a drink with my buddy a couple of times and he was a real nice guy who was extremely helpful.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Birmingham is okay with regard to socialising and cost of living but by no means cheap.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife in Birmingham is very very good with many good and varied night outs on offer.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were opportunities however I did not particulary think these were all that well advertuised. However other internships students seemed to be doing a lot outside of work so perhaps this was more my own fault that I did not go to many events outside of work.