First and Second Year Intern at HSBC

Liverpool North West
Banking - Commercial Banking - Retail

HSBC is a Top Employer

8.9/10

To complete an intern handbook.

For first year in Retail Branch:
- meeting and greeting customers on the branch floor.
- learning account opening procedures and opening accounts.
- product knowledge and quick counselling to customers.
- leading team meetings.
- completing a business project set by Line Manager on an area that benefits the branch most.
- shadowing mortgage advisors, financial planning managers and premier banking managers.

Second Year in Commercial Centre:
- attending appointments with Commercial Managers on a daily basis
- product knowledge
- opening business accounts
- organising charity events and taking part in voluntary community work.
- completing a business project.
- shadowing the deputy and area commercial manager
- visiting Regional and Head Office departments

I thoroughly enjoyed my first and second year internship, but the second was my favourite. Being given real life tasks and responsibilities, plus a variety of opportunities from day one was great and helped me achieve a variety of things in such a short space of time.

I was always made to feel part of the team from day one and have made some great friends and future contacts. I have even been invited on the christmas night out to catch up with my past fellow employees.

I had weekly meetings with my Line Manager and was able to discuss any issues on a daily basis. All staff members helped me with different task relating to their areas of expertise and even some areas they were unsure off.

I was given plenty of tasks to complete and has to prioritise accordingly, which helped with my learning and development throughout the seven weeks. If something was too difficult I wa able to get help and use my initiative.

I was given real life tasks and work to complete but with the support of my line manager and the rest of the commercial team.

My commercial awareness has increased and also my economical reasoning skills. I can utilise both of these skills in my maths degree. I have also been offered a graduate job with the company and all the knowledge and contacts that I have gained over the two years can be used everyday when I start and adapted to a variety of businesses.

The atmosphere changed throughout the day and the week. There was generally a buzz during the afternoon and it tended to be quite quiet during the mornings whilst the commercial managers gradually came into the office and completed their phone calls and paperwork.

The majority of the internship was well organised, however I felt I could have done with more time to complete a business project and implement my findings.

The company have invested in me from first year in University. They stood out, and continue to do so, as they look for their future leaders at an early point in time. I was offered a second year internship based on my performance in the first year as well as a bonus. I have now been offered a grad job for when I finish my third year which is great.

I have a job starting in July 2011 subject to a 2:1 in my degree.

I attended a number of staff nights out within the branch and commercial centre. Also, there were approx. 70 other interns around the country. We met up several time during the 7 weeks for charity events, inductions, pub quizes and voluntary days.

I lived at home during my placement and travelled every day to work by train which was £5.25 a day, however I was getting paid a great deal for an internship and this more than covered the cost of travelling.

liverpool has great student and non-student nightlife. There is something for everyone.

We were encouraged to get involved in as many activities as we wanted. Myself and a fellow intern organised a 'bacon buttie morning' and raised £75. We were encouraged to take part in the graduate charity commitee which included 5 a side football, climbing the three peaks etc.