Whilst at head office I worked with Customer Propostitions for 6 weeks
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed working with different people and getting to know various sides of the bank. I was quite nervous though at times, especially with interactions with customers which was a daunting prospect.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Felt very comfortable very quickly. Both the teams in the head office and the branch were very welcoming.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
They allowed me to ask all questions and confirmed that I was confident with completing all tasks set.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Some days were busier than others, especially in the branch. At head office there was a better balance whereas days in the branch could be hectic or quiet - depending on customers.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
At head office I worked as part of a team where they gave me individual responsibilities and I had to deliver tasks set on my own. At the branch it is more difficult to give me individual responsibilities as it is very much a team atmosphere and there are many more regulations regarding the interaction that I have with customers.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills that I have developed are not by any means tailored to my degree subject but the life and people skills that I have learnt are incomparable.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Again some days were exciting, whereas others were more mundane. The experience in the branch has fluctuated more whereas at head office it was more generic.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
There were flaws but HR were responsive to our needs and ensured that when we did have problems with things there were dealt with efficiently.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
They owed me nothing and gave me almost all they had to give. Their guidance and support can not be faulted, and individuals in the work place took an interest and allowed me to shadow them wherever possible.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Appealing but would also love the opportunity to do something different.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Central London is expensive - company not to blame.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
City of London and Canary Wharf are not renowned for night life.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?