A summer intern assisting project engineers in managing projects.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed the placement overall, finding it interesting and useful for my degree.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues valued my input on tasks and the work I completed. I had a good relationship with most of my co-workers and found my team easy to get on with.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My tasks were often self lead and my initial objectives only included rough guidelines as to what I should be doing however support was always given when I asked for it.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Due to the nature of my assignment I was sometimes bored but found myself really busy in the last 3 or 4 weeks.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a fair amount of responsibility, at no point did I find the tasks I was given pointless.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I greatly developed my presentation as well as reporting skills. Both of which I wasn't great at at the start of the Internship. My communication and team work skills also improved greatly.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There was a good professional working atmosphere with some friendly banter thrown in. Generally I found I could chat informally with staff for a bit without getting told to get back to work. My manager was approachable and we often talked about sports when we weren't busy with work. The overall office atmosphere was relaxed yet with a good amount of work being completed too.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was setup excellently overall. The management even put a BBQ on for us to get to know fellow interns and staff in the first week. Interns had to produce a final presentation towards the end of the internship which shows the organisation there was. The interns were split into different departments and we often shared the work we were doing which gave me a great understanding of the company.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company was highly active in my development. I went on 2 site visits at the start of the internship to further my understanding of the operational side of the company and my tasks were designed to develop me as an engineer.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Having only finished my first year at university i am not in a position to say if this is the company i am most likely to enter. However i found the company great to work for over the summer and the companies graduate scheme looks good.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
As interns we often organised trips to the pub or cinema. I found socializing outside of work difficult as I lived nowhere near any of the other interns.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Surrey is the most expensive county in England so rent and cost of living are incredibly high.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There are a few pubs and bars around but I never went to a nightclub. I guess the nearest would be in central London so a 30 minute train away.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?