Biomechanics Test Lab Student Placement at Johnson & Johnson

Engineering Science/Research Mechanical Engineering

Johnson & Johnson is a Top Employer

6.5/10

5.4

Testing of orthopaedic instruments under development forms most of the workload.

Overall I enjoyed the placement. I was part of a friendly team and I enjoyed living in Leeds and exploring Yorkshire.

The test lab team were supportive and helpful. Most of my work was individual work (as opposed to team work) but I felt that my input was valued when I did become involved in team projects.

There was a change of management almost exactly half way through my placement, my manager at the end of my placement was on secondment to our group from another group in the company so may not remain in the role for the long term. I did work for my manager and another senior colleague both of whom were very helpful and approachable, I was fortunate to have such nice people to work for.

All DePuy employees (including placement students) have a set of personal development goals and objectives which are agreed in discussion with their manager and which are intended to provide a framework for feedback. I didn't feel I got as much feedback as I would have liked, this may have been in part because of the change of management part way through the year.

My workload varied considerably over the course of the year, I never felt overloaded but did have little to do at times.

I ran my own tests and various side projects within the test lab, much like the graduate engineers and contractors on my team, I was not involved in any of the interdepartmental teams working on larger company projects.

I would now have a much better idea what to expect from a role in industry. I learned a lot about how to work as part of a large organisation and communicate with other employees. I learned some skills related to good laboratory practice and technical skills related to the equipment in the test lab.

The office was generally quiet but the people were friendly.

I was treated very much like a normal employee in the office, work was allocated to me as it was to the other test engineers. No activities were organised for me because of my role as placement student.

The same training and development was available to me as to other members of staff. I was offered two training courses over the course of the year (a one day course and a two day course), it may have been possible for me to attend more had I found them myself.

I would certainly consider returning among other options.

There were about twenty placement students, we were all put in touch before the beginning of the placement. I met up with colleagues outside of work five or six times over the course of the year.

I'm from London, living in Leeds seems pretty cheap to me!

I'm not much of a party animal myself but I gather from my flatmates (fellow placement students) that there's plenty to do in Leeds at night. Leeds has one of the biggest student populations of any city in the country so is very student friendly.

There's certainly plenty going on in Leeds to get involved in. Working hours weren't too long so there was plenty of time in the evenings.