I worked in the UK retirement unit, where I was able to develop my numerical skills by calculating transfer values on a daily basis and monthly factors for some of the largest clients at Mercer. I was able to further my knowledge of the pensions industry by reading through benefit statements on a regular basis and by creating a presentation on Mercer and the pensions industry.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Enjoyed both the work and social aspects of working at Mercer.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Felt part of the team and valued by the team throughout my internship.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The employees were really approachable and helpful.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I had a good balance of work throughout the internship.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given more responsibility as the internship went on and as I became more confident with the work.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have gained useful teamwork and numerical skills, which will benefit me with my degree and future career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Lively atmosphere to work in and the people are very friendly.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was well organised and I was able to get involved with work from the beginning.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was given a lot of training throughout the internship, in particular during the first week, for example I received training on excel and numerical calculations.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We went out regularly to the bars and restaurants near the office.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I was able to play cricket matches against other firms and play rounders with my team.