• Deputized for Commercial Officers – independently handled customer queries, prepared customer correspondence and undertook audit work.
• Assisted relationship managers in customer meetings, preparing credit applications and competing Global Connections Applications.
• Created a new market sizing framework for Central Multicultural Banking Team, accurately measured market opportunities.
• Produced pitch books and successfully built partnerships with UKTI, RSM Tenon & Grant Thornton to boost business referrals.
• Obtained experience in Corporate Real Estate, Private Banking & Trade Centre through different attachments.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoy it. Made friend with a lot of colleagues and got given a lot of early responsibility.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
They treat me equally like a colleague, not like an intern.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I got various mentors throughout the organisations.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Mainly making telephone calls, replying emails, going out with directors for meeting. Very busy everyday but on a good day I leave before 8pm for dinner/drinks with colleagues.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I handled a few pending cases of real clients for someone who took maternity leave - a lot of responsibility and stress to handle given I'm an intern.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
It definitely made me a more well-rounded person.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very cool, chill but can get intense toward the end of summer.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I have known HR for a few years so had no problem communicating with them.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
They sponsor a training camp and a few residential occasions for me to meet other interns, Guess it will cost them quite a lot given the luxury hotels and travel arrangements.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Definitely return to HSBC this year.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
They are all very talented. I frequently get to meet other interns from the residential occasions that the bank organised for everyone on the scheme.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
It's Manchester, I know it gets very expensive in London.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Manchester has the best nightlife and food at an amazingly cheap cost.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I usually go out after work with colleagues and seniors - Definitely something I would recommend.