1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
It was enjoyable, but very challenging at times! The team was very supportive and understanding. Learnt more about the banking sector and understood more about the products offered to its clients. Overall great experience!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The team was very understanding and helped a lot at the beginning! Very approachable and took time out to explain difficult concepts.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
There was a buddy assigned to each intern and they provided advice and direction when needed. I was able to approach my manager in difficult situations and was very understanding!
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The team I was working with was very busy! As a result, I chipped in and helped them out and took on more work. This helps to build a rapport with your colleagues and also you tend to learn a lot during your internship!
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a great deal of responsibility and it was stressful at first, but it was very educational! I was able to learn a lot and develop a better skill set.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
It helped me to prioritise my time more efficiently and develop better interpersonal skills.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
People at HSBC are very nice and approachable. You get to meet very senior executives/managers through networking events and other events held throughout the internship. The atmosphere in office depends on the floor you are working at.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
There were networking events every week. Each event was from a different division at HSBC! There was a very interactive trading game that helped interns from other division to understand how sales and trading work. Overall, HR did fabulous job at organising these events.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
They invested a great deal of time and energy. They also ensured that interns had exposure to very senior people from the vey beginning! There were many networking events and events about professional qualifications that we could take once you start a graduate programme.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
If you work hard and develop a great deal of contacts future employment prospects would be high!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Met up with other interns for lunch and other activities.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The internship was based in London, and therefore the cost of living varies depending on your lifestyle! There are lot of pubs and restaurants in Canary Wharf!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Not many opportunities, but HR organsied a trip for all interns! It helped us to bond and develop our own set of friends!