I completed my internship in Tax. On a day to day basis my role involved quite a lot of admin ie research, compiling information into spreadsheets, changing slides etc. I did get taken out to a few client meetings, and shadowed a partner for a day.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Whilst it was good, at the end of the day it is work.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues made a huge effort to get to know me, and explain various things they wanted me to do. It did vary between teams though.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had a 'career coach' who helped me set objectives for my internship. I had various managers and above I could go to for help.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
You need to be very proactive to get work. Once known to people if you do stuff well you can get quite a bit, occasionally balancing a lot of different tasks.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Not really applicable as an intern, as I lack the technical skills to be given work for which I would have responsibility. All of my work was reviewed by someone more senior.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Time management was useful. Overall I'm sure I learnt some transferable skills but wasn't really the point of the internship.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Varies from team to team. Some teams very quiet and dull, some chatty and friendly.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
A well run induction week, and I had a rotation sorted for when I started between different business units who all knew when I was arriving and organised work for me.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I had extensive training during an induction week.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I have been made a job offer.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Not alot going on.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Central London very expensive.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Had to get train home so didn't really use. Central London is good for nightlife though.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?