Retail Banking Summer Intern at HSBC

Bath South West
Banking - Retail Customer Service Information Technology Sales

HSBC is a Top Employer

7.9/10

Highly enjoyed my placement - it was a really valuable experience which gave me a real insight into the bank.

I felt really settled very early on, with the team making me feel at home by inviting me to out of work events etc. I was made to feel a part of the team, and being asked to participate iin morning meetings made me feel like a valued colleage.

Regular one to ones with my branch manager about my progress, and support on a daily basis from my line manager made me feel at ease and as if I could ask for guidance if I needed it.

Sometimes spent a fair amount of time on meet and greet but this was helpful for others especially when we were short of staff. Was set a number of different tasks throughout my placement across different areas which I really liked because it kept me busy.

Entrusted with tasks such as helping to sort out cards for a customer and being on reception in the Premier lounge whilst a colleage was on holiday. I also felt that meet and greet was quite a responsibility since it is the first point of contact for customers.

I really feel that I have gained skills that I will take with me later in life, because I have faced some difficult situations with customers and have gained a greater understanding of how to deal with such issues. My internship has also given me insight into an area that I knew quite little about.

The branch is relatively busy at times so whilst there was occasionally time for fun, obviously being in a customer facing environment made that aspect more difficult because of the need to be professional.

Guide was really helpful because it gave a structure to the internship, but perhaps some of the off site days e.g. Leeds could have been more seamless in terms of booking travel etc.

Strong focus on One Best Way in the branch meant that I was able to discuss my training and development on a regular basis.

I would definitely be interested in employment with HSBC later on, and I am keen to see other aspects of the bank.

Leeds and London offered an opportunity to meet people and I found everyone really easy to get on with. It was also really helpful to share experiences with other interns.

Very expensive but I am at university there so I knew that already!!

Good night out with some nice places to go in the evening.

Went to several out of work events such as leaving drinks, charity dos etc. which was a great way to get to know the team better.