Floor walker in the branch
Collecting data for a project set by the regional office
Finding out information about customer service, and seeing what can be done in the branch to improve this
Shadowing different people to see what their roles entail
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
From my first week, I was made to feel comfortable and people assisted me when I needed it. I was also trusted to get on with things, as soon as they showed me what to do.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everybody is extremely friendly in the branch, they really wanted to get to know me and what i'm about. They made an effort to make me feel part of the team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager was very approachable, and other managers in the branch understood what im here to do, and supported me when ,y direct line manager was away.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Most days were quite busy. When the branch was short staffed I was a floor walker whiched helped me learn how the branch works very quickly, and also made me comfortable in dealing with customer queries, no matter how difficult they were.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was left on the floor to handle queries, but I didnt have access to the system so couldnt book appointments, or do other small jobs which could have saved other people time. On my first day I was cashiering which was very cool
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I think this has helped me with my people/customer relations, also presentation skills (both preparing and presenting)and theleadership skills ive gained and observed here will help me for life.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The branch was usually busy, and when i was in the back office, everyone always had a good sense of humour and kept me laughing whilst doing my work.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I think interns have to take control and make sure their internship stays organised. ie by keep having one to ones, or by asking to shadow certain people. the structure in the intern quide was very useful.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The intern induction and experience days were very useful
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would LOVE to get a job with HSBC. Ive had the best experience, and i think it can only get better.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, other interns are great, Have made some really good friends and will definately be seeing them again.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Didnt live vin the area, so not to sure
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
not too sure,
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
People are always sending emails round about and event thats happening. The bank also covers travel expenses sometimes (ie for charity events) which is really good.