4.9/5
  • Support & Guidance
  • Culture
    4.8
  • Your Impressions

Performs analysis of samples and supports technical investigations/ monitoring, using a range of analytical techniques including chromatography, pharmacopoeial and physical property tests. Prepares and checks analytical data accurately according to company, customer and regulatory requirements. Assesses the quality and accuracy of analytical results and determines if material meets pre-defined acceptance criteria. • Undertakes analysis as required to support process investigations or as part of process qualification and validation exercises.

Overview

• 1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis.
  • Analytical testing of pharmaceuticals for patients with asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. I use a variety of analytical techniques including HPLC in order to determine that GSK medicines are safe and effective.

Skills

• 2. Have you learnt any new skills, or developed your existing skills?
  • Yes! HPLC is a big part of what we do in my lab and before I joined I knew very little about it - now I am very familiar with the technique. I have also developed my soft skills, especially teamwork, time management and professional conduct in the workplace.

• How would you rate the training provided during your experience?
  • 5/5

• How would you rate your development of industry-specific skills during the experience?
  • 5/5

• How would you rate your development of personal / soft skills during the experience?
  • 5/5

• Please rate how these skills have helped you in your career development

Responsibilities

• 3. Were you given much responsibility during your placement / internship?
  • Quite a lot - as part of my placement I was required to perform a research project. I was able to work with my manager to shape this project into something of my own while aligning it to the company's interests. While there were only a few options for projects available, I was given lots of other opportunities for growth including volunteering, external communication and additional responsibilities. (I am the labs environmental sustainability champion)

• Please rate how meaningful the work you were doing was

Support & Guidance

• 4. How much support and guidance did you receive during your placement / internship?
  • A fair amount - the people around me were always available to ask questions to or provide assistance in routine tasks. I found it a really supportive work environment and I never felt like I was drowning or out of my depth.

• How would you rate the support and guidance from your line manager?
  • 5/5

• How would you rate the support and guidance from the wider team?

Culture

• 5. What was the company culture and general atmosphere like?
  • Very interesting for someone who had no experience of the industry. GSK has a real culture of continuous improvement and trust - things that are reiterated throughout your placement. It was a very busy work environment but I definitely enjoyed how the workplace felt.

• How would you rate the inclusiveness of the culture?
  • 5/5

• How would you rate the social opportunities?
  • 4/5

• How would you rate the diversity initiatives?
  • 5/5

• How would you rate the charity, sustainability and corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives?

Your Impressions

• 6. To what extent did you enjoy your placement / internship?
  • I really enjoyed my placement. It's given me lots of opportunities to grow professionally and also given me the chance to meet a bunch of new people from all over the country - people that I hope I will keep in contact with into the future.

• Please rate your level of enjoyment on your placement / internship
  • 5/5

• Please rate how your experience met your expectations

• Please rate the future employment prospects at GSK
  • 5/5

• 7. Would you recommend GSK to a friend?

• 8. What advice would you give to others applying to GSK
  • Be ready for a busy work environment, one that will definitely push you - but don't be discouraged, everyone is really supportive and it really pushes you to achieve your best.

Chemistry, Science/Research