Working as part of an Agile team, delivering Opspacks for the Opsview Monitor system. Software engineering using Python, and testing with Java.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my placement - it was a fantastic experience in a great company, and allowed me to gain lots of experience in a variety of areas. The company atmosphere was great, and everyone was very welcoming and helpful.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt like a valued member of my team. Whenever we undertook new projects, my opinion was always welcome and I felt comfortable sharing new ideas.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had regular check ups with my line manager - If I had any issues, I had an environment where I could share them. I had different objectives each quarter so I could measure my progress and push myself to try new things within my role, and my manager helped me set and judge them.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There was an excellent balance - I never felt too swamped with work, but I was rarely left with too little to do. When I had additional time, there were other activities I could assist with, such as technical writing for the website, or I could work on my objectives.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
As a technical intern, I was a part of a larger team working toward an agreed upon roadmap set for engineering within Opsview. That being said, I did have some creative control over the investigation I undertook and the designs I created, and how certain aspects of the work I did was implemented.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I think this placement allowed me to develop several really useful skills, particularly time and resource management in an industry environment. These will help to round out the skills I've picked up in my degree so far, and will assist me in my final year project.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office was great. The setup of the office had a dedicated common area for lunch, which encourage communication between others in the company within and across teams.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was well organised - I received training and induction at the start to help me get settled, and knew where to go and who to speak to if I had any questions.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company was definitely willing to invest in me - I undertook a course on presentation skills, as well as all my induction training sessions. Through my objectives and work on my team, I had the opportunity to develop my skills personally and expand my capabilities.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Future employment prospects here are very appealing - after my year, I know that it would be a great place to work. I received an offer once my placement year was completed!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I was the only placement student during my year which made it slightly more difficult, but I got on well with the other members of my team.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
My placement was in Reading, which was slightly more expensive than I was used to after my studies in Birmingham. Prices were not ridiculously high, however.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Reading has a wide variety of activities available, including lots of pubs, bars, clubs as well as a cinema and shopping centre with plenty of restaurants.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?