Sales and Marketing Intern at Opsview

Reading South East
Business Analytics Design Financial Management Information Technology Marketing

6.6/10

5.6

Aiding the Marketing team in data analysis, content creation, inbound and outbound marketing and web development.

My projects were catered towards my skills and tasks I enjoyed getting involved in. On top of this Opsview put a lot of emphasis on the social side of the business. Events ranged from team lunches to 5 aside.

Bringing strong analytical and numerical skills in to a marketing team that was somewhat lacking in reliable metrics, it was clear that my work was valued and aided in whole business decisions.

Being the first Marketing Intern I did not have a handover as such, however on top of my manager there were various people within the team who were a great help, especially in my first few weeks at Opsview.

Work load varied from week to week. At the beginning and end of each month I found myself very busy with various marketing, sales and finance tasks. I did, however, have a few quiet days in between where I certainly could have been utilised more.

My manager pretty much entrusted me with owning the Marketing Metrics. This involved tracking all marketing campaigns and projects through a series of Key Performance Indicators. The numbers played a large part in business decisions so it was vital they were both accurate and reliable. On top of this, in terms of a position of responsibility, I was heavily involved in the recruitment of my replacement and was asked to train her for a week.

Studying Accounting and Finance at University I did not pick up too many course specific skills. However, my Excel skills have enhanced significantly and I now have a much stronger grasp of the marketing and Tech side of a business, skills which I will certainly value in the future.

Despite everyone being very friendly and supportive, the office itself was very quiet.

Overall, fairly well organised. The inductions were sufficient and I was thrown straight in to various projects which is what I wanted. Delayed product launches and managerial changes did impact my work for a few weeks, but these things are often difficult to avoid.

I was treated like a normal employee. I was provided with a license and admin rights for all marketing software. Where there were areas I was lacking in knowledge or experience, people would take the time out to get me up to scratch.

Despite being a great company with very strong ambitions, I have ambitions to head in to London and pick up a more financial / data analysis role.

There were only 3 Interns so there were not placement student specific socials. The overall social scene was very positive though, with events including launch parties, team building games and 5 aside.

I lived at home so luckily didn't have to pay rent. Commuting cost about £120 a month and I normally spent about £20 a week on food. Nightlife is not overly expensive.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Reading nightlife. Various bars/clubs/restaurants and with it being a student town there is always a young crowd out.

5 aside was the main one for me, which took place weekly. Apart from organised work socials, there wasn't too much else going on apart from trips to the local and a couple of rounds at the local Footgolf course.