My role was developing online initiatives, enhancing the customer experience and enticing them to shop at Tesco. My role was to look at the Grocery home shopping propositions to see whether they could be improved. Another role was looking at online media, and talking to the external marketing company for this.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I absolutely loved my internship at Tesco in the online department. It was very varied and allowed me to personally develop.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone was extremely welcoming and supportive. They made me feel like part of the team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager was extremely supportive. We had frequent catch ups and was always there to offer a helping hand.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was very busy in my days with meetings and then independent work on my projects. However the busyness allowed me to get a sense of what it is really like to work at Tesco, which was extremely beneficial.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a few responsibilities, such as helping to run a customer growth initiative (surprise and delight). However I was extremely supported throughout.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
It has given me a different outlook on university, encouraging me to take up personal development opportunities at work.
It has also equipped me with better confidence, presentation and organisation skills which I can use in my degree.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It was brilliant. Everyone was extremely lovely and kind, making it a great work environment
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Everything was very well organised with lots of events (ie networking dinners) which was great to socialise with the other interns.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There were lots of workshops for personal development on offer which were free to sign up to.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The environment at Tesco is brilliant. Everyone is extremely friendly, making the work environment a great place to be. Therefore I would love a job in the future.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes it was great. Everyone was very social. Lots of events were planned for us all the mix with each other and socialise (ie network dinner. Pay day drinks)
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The accommodation was expensive, however everything else was reasonable.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Not much. However good pubs near work and very close to London.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There is a gym on site which holds regular classes.