Vacation Student - Audit at KPMG

Reading South East

KPMG is a Top Employer

7.8/10

6.0

I really enjoyed the Vacation Scheme - working on 3 different audits in different sectors gave me a good insight into how an audit works and how the team structure at KPMG works. The only slightly negative thing I could say would be the amount of travelling involved. I spent 3 days on a client that was 2 hours drive away.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 2 roles at KPMG

I did feel valued, even though I have no accounting background. I was treated as an equal by everyone on the team, and was assigned tasks in the same way everyone else was. however, I was given tasks that were appropriate to my skill level, and if I was ever given anything I felt was beyond my abilities I felt comfortable enough to ask for further clarification.

I received a lot of guidance - someone would sit with me and talk through a task with me whenever I was given a new one. I was set up with an extensive support system which worked really well - I had a 'buddy' who I met on my first day in the office who I could go to with any question.

The skills I developed and information I picked up during the Vacation Scheme will greatly help me if I decide to go back and do the grad scheme. it also helped me structure my time, and develop a good work ethic.

In my experience it was well structured as I got insights into various different audits/sectors. it was also flexible which was really good - I was originally booked to one client for 3 weeks, but the in-charge decided I would get a better experience if I transferred onto a different client for my last week which I appreciated.

Everyone was really friendly and welcoming. the atmosphere was very positive and unlike anywhere I have ever worked before. If I decide to come back this will be a big factor in my decision. I felt able to ask questions, and was never made to feel like my questions were stupid. everyone was very patient.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 2 roles at KPMG

The company invested a lot into me. I had 2 full days of training/induction for a 4 week vacation scheme. this gave me a good insight into how the business works as a whole and also how individual engagements are structured. in addition to this, I had full access to the KPMG learning page and took advantage of this to further develop my skills through completing the 'how to audit' series.

I felt like I got a very good insight into what a full time role with KPMG would be like. this was through observing the team structure on my various different engagements, and understanding how different roles and responsibilities were allocated. I also had the opportunity to ask the E1s/2s how they had found the scheme so far which was very helpful.

The insight helped me understand the company culture very well. this was through being made to feel like a full member of each time, and also talking to other graduate trainees and to my in charges. even though I wasn't able to take part in any socials during my time at KPMG i was able to understand the effort KPMG puts in through chatting the colleagues.

Because i was made to feel like a full member of each engagement, and was able to gain more insights into how the graduate scheme works through my own experiences and through talking to other trainees i feel like it was very valuable. My experience during the vacation scheme has definitely made me consider a career in accountancy more seriously.

Again, i was made to feel like a full member of the team and so was able to reclaim back expenses. this was for both lunch and mileage. i was also paid.

Yes. i was able to do this in many different ways. the company's system of allocating 'buddies' meant i was immediately put into contact with someone a step ahead of me - in my case, my buddy had done the vacation scheme a year prior, like me. working on different engagements also gave me great opportunities for networking and meeting other members of the firm.

i wasn't able to attend any.

Yes, i learned about 'networks' that are organised by various different employees.

I would definitely recommend this insight to a friend. My experience has been great and I've really enjoyed working at KPMG. I've had the opportunity to develop many skills and have received business insights that will greatly help me in my future career. Above all it has been a really fun 4 weeks.