Structured Finance Intern at RBS

RBS is a Top Employer

7.3/10

7.6

10 week summer intern

I overall have really enjoyed my internship at RBS. I was in structured finance which I believe I was a good fit for. I spent 4 weeks in two different teams over my internship which I think was really useful. There were many socials and the other interns were really friendly.

I would say overall I felt valued. However, maybe more valued in one team compared to another. On one team I didn't really feel valued. The work I was given was real work, giving me a great insight into a job at RBS. I felt like people had time to explain things with me and wanted me to learn with them.

Again I would say one manager was much better than the other. If I am honest one manager was incredible, I couldn't have asked for a better manager. She was approachable, friendly and interested in me. However, with the other it felt like he didn't want to be a manager which was a bit of a shame if I am honest.

It really varied, some days I would be staying until 11pm because I had so much work to do and then other days I would leave at 6pm, I would say it generally varies between areas and teams of the bank. But overall it would describe it as coming in waves.

I would say I was surprised with the amount of responsibility given to me, again this varied with teams. And some teams were more open to the interns than others but overall I was happy. The issue was we worked in their quietest period so there was not always the responsibility to give us.

I don't think the technical skills I gained will help me in my degree as they are not applicable. However, I believe I have developed as a person. Especially building on my resilience and learning to adapt it was quite a surreal experience. I am so glad I did the internship.

The general vibe of the office was a nice atmosphere to work in. Most people were friendly and approachable, which made me feel at ease. I was happy working in the environment but then again I don't know anything different so it is hard for me to judge on a comparison level.

I think the internship was very well organised. There was a clear plan to the 10 weeks and I think being in two teams was so so useful because it gave us exposure to the differences. The assessments were well planned and we were given a fair amount of warning for them.

I believe the firm really invested in me, with their time and effort. Obviously some people more than others- but as a whole people seemed like they wanted us to gain something from this experience which was a really great feeling. One thing I would say is that the pay was WAY too low for the hours we were doing and in comparison to competitors.

• There were no perks with this Internship

When I came to this internship I didn't think I wanted to work for the company but after spending 10 weeks here I have completely changed my mind. I really hope to get the job offer because this is a place I see myself fitting into to and gaining a lot from.

Yes 100% all the interns were very friendly I genuinely believe I will be friends for life with some of the interns which I think is an amazing thing to be able to say. And I think it says a lot about RBS's employment process. They seem to really care about who they employ.

The cost of living was expensive and the pay isn't good.

The nightlife is great we did many intern nights out.

Yes there were socials and a few sporting events which were great to be a part of.