1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my time being an intern and grant thornton and would recommend it to anybody wanting to experience life as an audit assistant Grant Thornton made sure the experience was enjoyable as well as a great learning experience by varying tasks and teams through the 6 weeks .
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues gave me a varied amount of tasks depending on the team I was with and what stage of the audit was being carried out. All work I did had meaning and relevance which meant I was always helping out colleagues by working with them which I felt they appreciated.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My people manager was always on hand to help with any queries even when I wasn’t working on a job he was assigned to. The other members of management made themselves known and were inviting throughout the time I spent there.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Some days were more busy than others although I feel like this was expected. It depended on the job , the stage of the audit and the speed of the clients in providing information. When ever I felt like I had nothing to do there was always someone in the office who needed help.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
My favourite part of the experience was the responsibility as it was different to other work experience programmes I have done. I had several tasks to do alone and was allowed freedom within the office and on site.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I feel like I can apply what I have learnt to my studies in terms of the accounting knowledge but also to my future in terms of professionalism and inter personal skills.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office was an inviting place and the hot desks meant it was easy to socialise whilst working.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Each week I was assigned jobs and I stuck to this plan.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Throughout the process I developed personally through the experiences I had but a trip to Bradenham also meant learning about presentation skills which is great training
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I have enjoyed my time there due to the work and the teams I have been in and would be happy to work there full time as a graduate
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Colleagues were always wanting to spend lunch times together to socialise. We also had several after work events in the office which was great! Towards the end I am attending a football trip with GT which will be good for socialising and enjoying work/life balance
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I worked In office close to home so travelled to work for approx £5 a day and did not experience any additional living costs.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Unsure as I did not live in the area .
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were several social events and additional events shared via email for the office to attend