Risk Analyst at RBS

RBS is a Top Employer

7.3/10

6.7
7.4

Fun work environment, more relaxed than I anticipated and very flexible in terms of working hours. Lovely group of interns as well and had lots of activities to take part in. Campus in Gogarburn is amazing with tons of amenities.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 9 roles at RBS

Felt values by my immediate team, since they had a more direct involvement with the work I was doing and could enjoy the fruits of my labour. When shadowing other teams however, I did sometimes feel like a was being a bit of a burden and was slightly unwanted there.

My supervisor was great, assisted me a ton in setting up all of my administrative stuff early on. Apart from that, he is a very approachable and likeable guy, not afraid of a bit of banter and made me feel very welcome. Also gave me constant feedback on all of my work and helped me develop my skills.

Not too busy unfortunately, there were times that I felt like I wasn't providing anything of value to my team and the company and was just being paid to look at newspaper articles. The work I did do however was very relevant and useful.

I was given a decent amount of responsibility, about what you would expect for an intern. I definitely wasn't doing coffee runs, but also wasn't exactly running the show or making important decisions, which I think is expected.

I received extremely useful technical skills, including excel and python most notably, as well as a variety of different interpersonal skills, perhaps most notably presenting. Overall very happy with those skills, and I believe they will prove very useful for university as well as any other jobs I may end up taking up in the future.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 9 roles at RBS

Amazing office environment! Obviously not the same for all teams, but my office was extremely friendly and I would always have fun chats with the people sat around me.

My own team was very well prepared for my arrival and had work to give me the moment I arrived. This wasn't the case for all interns, as many had trouble gaining access to their emails and various other logins as well as building cards. There were also plenty of events organised throughout my time which were great.

Lots of training. Most of the work I was given was tied into my personal development goals, so all of the aspects of my work felt like training. The only additional thing I would have liked would be some dedicated training time, which I know is available for the grads here.

Unfortunately this is the main area I was unsatisfied with, employment prospects aren't amazing compared with other companies within the financial services industry. Particularly because of RBS's work culture which is quite laid back and relaxed, despite making it a very fun place to work, I don't feel like it would push me enough.

Amazing social scene! People would organise things EVERY DAY in group chats, literally wasn't a single day where there was nothing planned. If you are shy then this is great for you, as everyone was extremely welcoming and happy for more people to join their social activities. No complaints here.

Canteen was relatively expensive within the building, apparently is used to be subsidised but isn't anymore. Rent in Edinburgh is quite expensive as well which doesn't help. Also need to take a bus to work everyday which adds up in terms of monthly costs. Nightlife is cheap as most of the place are for students.

Fun times, an abundance of student clubs/pubs that were always packed. Most of them weren't incredible, but they were cheap and at accessible locations, short walks from where most people lived. Besides that, Edinburgh Festival in on during the same time of the internship and as you can imagine that is incredible.

Plenty of opportunities, including CSR events and events organised by the company.