Marketing Placement on the JOHNSON'S(R) Baby team.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed my placement year at Johnsons very much! I was on put on a great team and given lots of responsibility from day 1! It was a great insight into the world of business and how things work, I was on the marketing team and would highly recommend to anyone thinking of applying.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt very valued by my colleagues. I was never treated as 'the placement' but was instantly part of the team. I was given key tasks to do on my placement year which other members of the team relied on me doing. I was involved in meetings with the whole team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager gave me lots of support, through weekly one to ones. In this time we would go through what im doing at the minute and answer any questions I had. She was then also very helpful in giving me feedback and guidance on my future career and what I want to do.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Each day in the office varied. Some projects I was leading were very time pressured, others I had time to take my time and be creative. In general I had plenty of work, how busy you were depended on how you personally managed your time. If you weren't very busy then there was always work to be picked up from the rest of the team.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given lots of responsibility from day 1, helping shape the launch of 'THE NEW JOHNSON'S(R)'. I had projects that I was in charge of leading and updating the team in our team meetings. it was up to me to organise, chase and deliver certain projects over the year.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Having a practical experience working in marketing is invaluable to not only my degree but my carer afterwards. I recieved lots of training while on my placement, including life skills such as giving feedback to managers and managing your energy at work. I will also then be able to use the knowledge ive learnt about business in my final year at university.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office was generally a fun place to be, you weren't restricted to which brand you were put on. People on different brands interact with each other on a daily basis. I made some great friends while on my placement year which made the atmosphere a great place to work in.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement year at Johnsons was very well organised and structured. From the original handover from the old placements, we were constantly supported throughout the whole year. We even had an opportunity to have a feedback session on our placement year to say anything we'd change or what to make better.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
the company invested a lot into our personal development and training. When we first joined the business we had two weeks of training's to get up to speed with the processes the business used. Then throughout the year there were training which you could sign up for such as excel, and energy at work.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The future prospects at the company are very good, as whilst on our year we have the opportunity to attended an assessment center to apply for a grad job in the business. they also helped us with a CV workshop to show what they look for and how best to shape our own.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
yes all of the placement students got on together, from the first day we were all in a facebook chat which we used to organise social events such as nights out. Then at work we usually all sit toegther in the canteen to catch up and chat, everyone was really friendly.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
i lived in reading on my placement year and worked in maidenhead which is about 30 mins away. So I had to pay for petrol which wasn't too much. I shared a flat with my uni friend, which was not too expensive for reading. It is a student town so there were lots of good deals on nights out.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Where I worked in maidenhead the nightlife wasnt great, but as placements we usually went out in reading which was only 30 mins away. London is also only 30 mins away on a train, so we had options there. both have a good night life, reading is very student based.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
there was quite a few opportunities outside of work to get involved in. there were sports teams which we got emailed about. they also walk in gay pride which i walked in reading which was a lot of fun. They also had opportunity to buy cheap theatre tickets. So there was lots to do if you wanted to.